Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why No 'Paleo-fying?' page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Why No 'Paleo-fying?'

Primal Fuel
    Can someone explain to me why the Whole9 folks advocate against 'Paleo-fying' an otherwise unhealthy food? For example, this evening we will make 'breaded' chicken from the Sarah Fragoso Everyday Paleo book. It's boneless, skinless chicken thighs covered in egg, almond flour, coconut flour, and spices. From where I sit that is even Whole30 approved.

Another example are some breakfast items. I make our kids pancakes with eggs, almond flour, baking soda, honey, and salt. Aside from the honey even that is Whole30 approved. But the Whole9 people are adamant about not converting food to be more paleo, even when not engaged in a Whole30 cycle.

Thoughts?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    The one word answer: orthorexia.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends to the extend you take your paleo-fying. Some folks need to just get re-acquainted with real food, so paleo pizzas and paleo hot pockets aren't re-inforcing the idea that food "doesn't really look like that" ... know what I mean?

It also can make people find escape paleo foods that they abuse, or that cause them to stall or whatever.

For instance, you're telling your kids there's a specific type of breakfast food (pancakes, etc) and, to each their own and all, but they'll grow up with this idea and maybe when you're not around to paleo-fy this, they'll resort to the usual pancake set-up, which is not primal. I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong, but it does send the message that "breakfast isn't breakfast without this banging ass pancake"... even if you sometimes do something different, like eggs and meat, etc.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, but I wouldn't touch almond flour.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree with the rest. It's harder to dissassociate yourself with your old habits if you are just subbing them out for a similiar one that doesnt taste as good. If you relearn what food is then it really changes your mindset and those muffins/pancakes will no longer look like food to you. I think at first its a good idea to do some of this paleofying, but I would wean yourself and family off it and make it only for a special holiday treat. Almond flour recipes are not the best for your health IMHO because they are so calorie dense and high in O6's.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I don't know, but I wouldn't touch almond flour.
    Ditto. If you're going to deep fry, almond flour is a terrible choice due to highly oxidized omega 6. Coconut flour is a terrible choice due to texture. I would strongly recommend potato starch. It will be indiscernible from wheat flour and it's much healthier.

There's no such thing as "Paleo deep frying" because there would have been no way for Grok to do it, but I don't see a big issue with the occasional chicken tender breaded with potato starch and deep fried in extra virgin olive oil, leaf lard or coconut oil. Deep frying actually retains less oil than pan frying, so if you have an issue with deep frying, don't you dare saute in oil! I did onion rings with corn starch and olive oil over the weekend and they were great. I didn't have potato starch at the time.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried to deep fry anything with almond flour or coconut flour or anything. In this case the chicken I make is baked. Either way, I was just asking in general. I personally have no issues with almond flour and will continue to use it. We use it in a LOT of meals!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

I love that post.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    I've never tried to deep fry anything with almond flour or coconut flour or anything. In this case the chicken I make is baked. Either way, I was just asking in general. I personally have no issues with almond flour and will continue to use it. We use it in a LOT of meals!
    TETO, but heating processed O6's for an extended period of time is not something I'm interested in going out of my way to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast