Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil- help please!!! page

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil- help please!!!

Hi all!

As some of you may know, I've had issues with coconut oil before. When I tried it, I jumped right in to having 3 or 4 tablespoons per day and had VERY bad reactions. I found that I was incredibly hungry, jittery, and nauseated. I ate way more than I wanted to, both of the coconut oil and of food, and it freaked me out. I ended up throwing out the CO and deciding my body just can't tolerate it.

Now that I've read some more about it, I think I might just have jumped in with too much, too fast. I've read other people say that they had to ease into it, and also that it revs your metabolism- so maybe I was just flying high, and therefore super hungry, etc.

I really want to try it again, but am nervous I'll have another bad reaction. Any feedback anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm 5'4", 110 lbs, and only trying to maintain my weight. My main issues are that I'm having trouble finding my satiation point (I never feel full and I eat a LOT of protein and fat), my digestion is pretty dismal, and I'm also trying to get my skin to clear up.

Help!!!!!

P.S. Can you also recommend the best brand or what to look for? I'll be getting it at New Seasons if that helps.
    Last edited by Buoy1; 11-14-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added P.S.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post
    I'm 5'4", 110 lbs, and only trying to maintain my weight. My main issues are that I'm having trouble finding my satiation point (I never feel full and I eat a LOT of protein and fat), my digestion is pretty dismal, and I'm also trying to get my skin to clear up.
    I would keep three square meals, focusing on protein and fat, not eating too many starches (not against them, but may drive up hunger, usually being closer to VLC/LC makes people's hunger fade/go away) keep in mind that being totally devoid of hunger is undesirable and perhaps impossible as it's our bodies way of reminding us to do something we need to do to stay alive, ie: feed ourselves.

I don't think you have any "need" for coconut oil, as far as it helping your hunger and stuff. It's not the type of fat you want to eat to blunt hunger. If anything I'd have just one teaspoon a day (or every other day) in tea, which can be quite nice and a decent "snack" if you're fasting. It's got interesting properties that make it worthy of inclusion in ones diet, but I don't think it's mandatory either. In your case, you just have to eat, you sound like the type of person that can eat a lot and not store much so just ride that out if what you're hoping to do is maintain your weight.

Thanks for the reply! I am doing LR right now, so am doing the three meals a day, which I like. I'm confused though- you said that CO won't blunt hunger, but I thought that was what most people claimed about it??

Confused!!

Also, I'm experimenting with going back to lower carb- I think this might be a problem for me not feeling satisfied (my carbs were inching up over the past month or so)...

From this: http://www.bioriginal.com/services/f...coconutoil.pdf

Benefits of Coconut Oil
    MCTs are directly utilized by the body and transported directly to the liver. Thus, they are not
    transported or deposited to tissues such as adipose (fat) tissue. Evidence suggests that increased
    consumption of MCTs increases burning of calories, increases satiety, helps decrease the amount
    of fat stored in adipose tissue and may help control body weight. Most Western or North
    American diets do not contain appreciable amounts of MCTs and thus supplementation may be
    beneficial.
    It is supposed to, but it's not the case for everyone, certainly not for you, unless you go crazy on it, which you already know isn't the best approach.

Hmm... I'm hoping I can build up and get to the point where it helps actually satisfy me.

I just have such a hard time feeling satisfied with food. Probably mostly psychological, but I'm trying to find ways to improve in that area.

Also, with the possible skin and digestion benefits, I'm really going to give it a go.

We shall see...

I think you just need to eat more meat, there's something wrong with you if you're able to eat mountains of meat and never feel satisfied. I'm not sure why you're hoping for coconut oil to satiate you. If you can have four ribeyes in a sitting and still be able to eat more, I'm not sure how an oil is ever going to help you out.

...positive metabolic effects.

plus, hoping to get digestive benefits, too.

i can eat over 200 g of protein per day and not really feel that full- and I'm 110 lbs. so yeah, i dunno.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand the love for CO. If you were having this problem with eggs, would you keep introducing low doses of eggs so you could build up a tolerance for eggs? Really, if your body doesn't deal well with CO, or coconut manna, or coconuts in general, DON'T EAT THEM. Seriously. It's fat. It's a refined product. If you feel compelled to add fat, eat some butter or lard or tallow.

Also, the metabolic effects are overrated. The best we get from observational studies is that it isn't harmful. We have an n=1 study where you don't deal well with it. So it looks like it's harmful to you.

To summarize:
    • CO has MCTs! It has anti-fungal properties! It makes you feel like crap, don't eat it!

• Butter has CLAs and Vitamin K2! And it's tasty! If you have a problem with dairy, don't eat it!

• Lard is great for high temperature cooking! It's tasty! It sucks to eat by the spoonful, cook with it!

Maybe I'm just bitter because I can't tolerate coconut products. ;-)
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No need to eat the oil plain. A nice can of real coconut milk does pretty much the same thing, but gently. An easy way to eat the oil is to use a heaping spoonful to cook with, then drink it at the end. But, I agree, it's not needed. Grass-fed beef tallow works fine, too, as a staple fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't bother with it. Not worth the hassle. That's what I love about this lifestyle..... Flexible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast