Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Shifting - Carb Loading page

bdapril Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I need some help crushing my friend's theory that loading carbs one day a week will shock his metabolism. He is a body builder and spends every Sunday consuming mass quantities of garbage (carbs) and NO FAT in an effort to "keep his body guessing." What!?! I can find no science to support his method and he can't give me a reasonable explanation so I am hoping one of you out there can help me debunk his theory. I have already given him my intro class on PB but am looking for some specifics.

mstrudle is offline Member

Lyle McDonald advocates such techniques in his "Ultimate Diet 2.0" book, parts of which I have read. If it works for him, then perhaps you shouldn't be worrying. There are multiple ways to be healthy, primal/paleo is not the only one.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a CKD (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet) - assuming he's eating VLC or No-carb during the week. I used to do that for awhile, its actually somewhat nice for a person transitioning over to a true VLC diet, since its a "cheat" day.

The theory behind the diet is to replenish your depleted glycogen stores (in your muscles) each week, which weightlifting will deplete quite easily.

I dunno, its not entirely terrible in my opinion. Personally, I ended the carb-load day just because it would leave me feeling bloated but not full.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

I've heard of these approche, but I thought most of these 'cheat day' diets were based on calorie restriction during the week, resulting in low leptin levels, so its beneficial to have a planned 'high carb' day.

Some of my friends eat like this. Although it seems to work for them and I can't convince them otherwise. I tell them that besides fat loss, there are other reasons to eat real foods, mainly that you don't feel like crap after a binge.

MikeGP Guest

Yes, just like Iceskater mentioned, the point of this carb loading is to bring Leptin levesl up. When youre in a calorie restricted diet, leptin levels go down and it gets harder to lose fat. A Carbohydrate refeed helps to increase leptin so you can continue to lose weight. Its not a "cheat" day perse because you cant eat fat, just carbs.

London Mike is offline Junior Member

I thought that on a carb cycling/reefed day you're supposed to eat high carb, high fat, and low protein?

Maybe Iíve got it wrong...

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

I had a cheat day on Friday, fast food followed by a buffet and I'm down 3 lbs overall. That's 2x as much weight as I lost the entire week before that eating entirely paleo. My weigh-in day is Wednesday, if I'm still down 3 lbs (hopefully more) then I'm going to "re-feed," followed by a 24 hour fast, 1x/week until the lbs stop falling off. I plan to eat ONLY paleo in the future, but as Mr. M said, it's nice to have a cheat day to look forward to in the beginning.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

MikeGP Guest

London Mike, fat does not bring leptin up, if it did, there wouldnt be a need for a "carb refeed", you could just eat MORE fat, but its not the case. Its recommended to lower the fat while doing the carb refeed so that calories dont sky rocket, since only the carbs are beneficial.

London Mike is offline Junior Member

@MikeGP

Great, thanks for the info. Makes sense!

@Jokaman70

Following on from our exchanges in the "I now know what works for weight loss" post, Iíve since had another cheat day and have again seen acceleration in weight loss. So this strategy seems to work - for us at least.

On a normal, Primal, day I consume around 2,000 calories and less than 50g of carbs. With this method weight loss is constant but slow.

On a cheat day, I consume around 3,500 calories and *cough* grams of carbs, followed by a 24hr fast. With this method I lose 1-2 pounds more than I would have done without the cheat.

Bizarrely, if I consume 3,500 calories in a day eating Primal, my weight goes up and itís a bugger to get down again.

How weird is that?

JamieBelle is offline Member

This is pretty much what I do, but my "carb loading" consists of eating more fruit and a sweet potato on the weekends.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast