Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reason I failed to go primal - untreated WHEAT ADDICTION! My story. page

primalbostongal is offline Junior Member

The reason I failed to go primal - untreated WHEAT ADDICTION! My story.

Love this blog, love Mark and his books. I have tried to go primal/paleo up to half a dozen times, and each time I would give up after two or three days and go on a bread binge!

When I read the Wheat Belly book by that David guy, I realized that it was the opioid response that was sabotaging me. I absolutely love veggies, meat, nuts and fish - so why wasn't I feeling great when I ate them? Simple - I was going through massive withdrawal every time I started a primal diet! I literally was eating wheat five times a day, at meals and snacks (and I ate a pretty "healthy" diet by American standards, not much fast food but lots of toast and pasta).

I decided to detox from wheat before I dealt with any other aspect of the diet. I picked a week where I had little to do and no major demands on my brain - cutting wheat cold turkey gave me horrible symptoms: headaches, irritability, inability to concentrate. I always thought this was the result of too little carbs - the "Atkins brain" carb flu thing. But no! It was solely wheat!

I know this because for one week, I gave myself permission to eat ANYTHING I wanted, as long as it wasn't wheat. I went to Whole Foods and got every healthy-junk-food gluten-free rice-based replacement food my heart desired: rice bread, rice pasta, rice cookies, rice crackers. I ate tons of sugar and dairy too, just to help me survive the transition. You get the picture! I kept my diet the same, I just took out the wheat, and I felt LIKE HELL. It was the same feeling as when I would try to go primal. It was honestly like withdrawal from painkillers, which I have done before since I had to take them after surgery for a while.

After my symptoms went away (about five days), I gradually reduced the amount of rice-based substitutes in my diet and put in more vegetables, meat, and healthy fats. This was the only way for me to eventually go fully primal. If anyone else has struggled with going Primal, I recommend trying this experiment. Rice doesn't seem to do anything bad to me except make it hard to lose weight (like any type of carb eaten to excess), so it was a great crutch to help me get off wheat. The uniquely inflammatory profile of wheat was doing quite a number on me.

I'm now working on reducing (not eliminating) dairy, because for me it's hard to get lean while I eat a lot of it and I think it doesn't do great things for my skin. And it's hard too because that's also an opioid producer.

I wanted to know if other people have had experiences with "wheat addiction" and if this was a stumbling block to going primal.

Happy hunting!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    That was very clever of you!

I just finished reading Wheat Belly. It was really an eye-opener, wasn't it?

It made me realize that my trouble giving up cheese and butter was probably closely related to others' problems giving up wheat -- the opioids were getting me every time! Finally ditched all the dairy last week, for a good long time. The only exception is that I'll try ghee (no proteins in it) at some point.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    ::: TigerLily reads with interest as she scoops moar ice cream into her mouth :::

o_O
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I had no trouble giving up wheat. But dairy is another matter entirely. I know it doesn't do good things for me. I haven't drunk milk for years because of the negative effect it has on me. But cheese, cream, yoghurt etc, the thought if giving them up is clearly how other people feel about giving up wheat. I never knew about the opiates. Must finish reading Wheat Belly.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting. I think sugar was my vice. But I cannot handle the idea of giving up cheese, even though I only have one good piece of French Brie once a week. Hmmmm opiates.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I am the same with dairy. Giving up gluten 4 yrs ago was pretty easy, but staying away from cheese and ice cream, that's another story! I always used to think it was sugar I was slipping up with, but actually it's always something with sugar AND dairy, like ice cream. I know dairy isn't good for me, I suspect casein intolerance since it goes hand in hand with gluten damage.

Great idea to detox from wheat like that first. I sometimes do the same with dairy- cut that before I cut sugar. I'm always amazed how much better I feel even though I am still eating sugar!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I <3 opiates.

Yeah, the dairy craving thing = stupidly ridiculous (for me), when I think about all the other food I've given up and truly couldn't be arsed about ever again.

Have you all ever heard the saying that you crave what you are most allergic to? I've wondered if that's what's going on here with us.

This stuff does some nasty things to my body. And when I try (and try and try....) to quit it, I am the biggest pouty baby, miserable and stomping around.

There was a thread going here a while back that was about what would you eat for your last meal. I started to respond, but scratched it when I realized in disgust that every. single. thing. on my list was dairy to the max (creme brulee, milkshake, mac and cheese, cheesecake). I have a real problem. Opiates.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 11-14-2011 at 01:25 AM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I am just tucking into 3 big chunks of different cheeses for my lunch lol
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

John Nugent is offline Junior Member
    I love coffee and eggs - but I have discovered I do suffer a reaction to both - bloating and uncomfortable stomach for hours afterwards. I cut them out about 3 weeks ago and the bloating I had felt for a long time subsided.

I had coffee and eggs over this last weekend - and the same symptons returned.

I also suffer from cravings for choclate and bread. I find if I eat more fat with my food that these cravings go.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I started PB last January, I went VLC and lost about 50 lbs steadily over 9 months with very few stalls. A few weeks ago, I had wheat for the first time in 10 months. It wasn't much when you look at the portions/calories, 2 eggrolls, a piece of french bread dipped in olive oil, and some breaded appetizers over a 2 day period. My weight went up 10lbs! My midsection was bloated and I gained 2" on my belly. It took about 10 days to get back to where I was, but my belly measurement is still about 1/2" up.

It almost seems like I was never really fat, just water-logged. It's like every fat cell in my body absorbed all the water it could and held onto it. This definitely explains my pattern of yo-yo dieting in the past when I would starve myself, lose 20lbs, and then start eating normally only to regain the lost 20 and add 5 more in just a few days.

The calories in-calories out theory never seemed to work for me, if it took 3500 excess calories for me to gain 1 lbs, then there's no way that less than 1000 calories of wheat would cause a 10lbs weight gain. But if it's water weight--that explains it crystal clear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast