Thread: Fast/easy/convenient protein shakes page

Corvidae is offline Senior Member

Fast/easy/convenient protein shakes

Shop Now
    So I have made HUGE inroads into starting my mom on primal/paleo, which is having marked improvements on her health. She doesn't care about weight as much, just fixing a range of health problems that have bothered her.

Talking with her about it this weekend, she says she's been going to the gym and getting some light cardio and lifting in (because of concerns of osteoporosis) but that at the end of the workout, she drinks a prepackaged protein shake. I winced when she told me that. She said it was no sugar, but i asked her to send me the list of ingredients when she got home. She did, and not surprisingly its full of chemicals.

I asked her if she would be interested in making her own shake. She balked at that idea, saying how she *has* to have the shake right after the workout cause she's so hungry by then, and she can't bring a blender to the gym and all, etc etc etc. Blerg.

So I am writing here to ask if anyone knows of any decent-quality pre-packaged protein shakes or drinks. Price is no object for my mom. Also she's fine bulk ordering things online so if its some obscure thing that can only be found online let me know about it anyway. Thanks!
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    What about a blender ball or blender bottle? That way she can put all of the ingredients in it, shake it up and drink it when she's done working out.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes take smoothies with me in a thermos and they stay pretty close to frozen for hours. She could easily do the same.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    What are the ingredients?
    Your mum is doing well don't worry about the prepackaged shake - its handy for her ATM. If you can find something else just as convenient but healthier I'm sure she would adopt it.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    So I am writing here to ask if anyone knows of any decent-quality pre-packaged protein shakes or drinks. Price is no object for my mom. Also she's fine bulk ordering things online so if its some obscure thing that can only be found online let me know about it anyway. Thanks!
    Eggs... BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I know some good stuff here in Oz, but I doubt they ship to US.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Im going to try and introduce her to new logistics for making her own smoothies, but in case that doesnt stick I was hoping there might be a prepackaged option.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Fury is offline Senior Member
    I've yet to see premixed (liquid) protein drinks that didn't have an ingredient list a mile long full of preservatives

However, if if she's ok with mixing from powder I'd suggest checking out somethin like trueprotein.com, they do custom powder mixes and have a good dozen types o protein, like 30 flavors and a variety of sweeteners to choose from, and several dozen other supplements they can mix in (powdered MCT, vitamins, aminos, etc...)

typically cheaper than many retail protein powders too
    Last edited by Fury; 11-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    im very happy for ur mom. but pls dont get me wrong, i feel protein shakes should be consumed by ppl that do heavy lifting or hard cardio on that day only cause its made for recovery and spikes ur glucose. it pains me to see ppl at my gym do a light bike workout or 30min walking on the treadmil and then head over to the juice bar and buy a 16oz shake. like js290 said eggs are going to be her best bet. just my two cents.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html