Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 year-old starting out page

Gavin is offline Member

17 year-old starting out

Hey guys, I figured I would share my story before primal and my journey through primal.

It starts off 20 months ago when my dad wanted me to run a 5k. I was overweight with very little muscle, and my time was 36:38. That summer, I started to run. I lost 15 pounds and ended up running for my school's Cross country team and finishing with a time of 22:08. That winter I read Born and Run and tried to jump on the Ultrarunning vegan wagon, which sucked.

Than, last spring, I started to eat better. I ate less crap, less sugar and junk food (but still grains). I started running for the summer and ended up with 400+ miles, which screwed over my XC season. I discovered MDA and thought my brother could really benefit, but he quit. Than I started to research and decided to go Primal after my XC season and a half marathon I had already signed up for.

Now we fast forward to a few weeks ago, I started to eat alot more meat and fat. I still ate grains, but I also made it so I could a few hours without needing to eat.

Last weekend, I ran my half marathon with a time of 1:53:27 which was freaking amazing!! And now today, I started primal.

I feel generally good, although I know I have the Low carb flu. My head is cloudy and my muscles ache (primal + HM). I know this is the true way to health, which is what I've searching for since that first 5k, and I just can't wait until I can reap the benefits.

Thanks to anyone out there who is reading this, and stay tuned because I hope to add on throughout my (hopefully short) journey.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome on board!

Why the short journey? You're going to be primal for the rest of your life, right?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Gavin is offline Member
    I mean a short journey on the low carb flu. And an update I forgot: I don't have the usually intenstinal problems I did when I ate whole wheat bread and oatmeal and my urine smells funny, any reasoning for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    I mean a short journey on the low carb flu. And an update I forgot: I don't have the usually intenstinal problems I did when I ate whole bread and oatmeal and my urine smells funny, and reasoning for that?
    So you've dropped all grains from your diet? That sorted out my IBS within a week

As for smelly urine.... are you tracking your carbs? At a guess, if you've been consistently lower than 70g/day you could be in or very near to ketosis, which can make your pee smell differently.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Gavin is offline Member
    I tracked my food today and was just under 100g of carbs. And I figured it was IBS

If what you've eaten today is about average for you, then unlikely that it's ketones making your pee smell.
    Maybe, it's just the fact that you're no longer eating x that it smells differently. Lots of food does have an effect on the smell of urine.
    Or you could just be more or less dehydrated than you were pre-primal... have you started drinking more water than you used to? Or maybe drinking
    less if you've upped the amount of water containing veggies that you're eating?

Generally the darker your urine, the smellier it is

Gavin is offline Member
    Have drank the same amount and have eaten similar vegetbales so I think it's the ketones.

Gavin is offline Member
    Day 2
    Today I was feeling really good, I'm back in school and performing the same as before. I only got lightheaded a few times today as apposed to all day yesterday. My energy was also alot better than yesterday. With me tracking what I eat, I notice I don't eat all that much (just about 2200 calories) whereas before I was eating almost 3000. My intestinal problems came back a little today with gas and a little bit of uncomfortableness. I also had some really vivid dreams which are usual when your body thinks it's starving. I also woke up once in the night, but couldn't get back to sleep for about an hour. Any thoughts?

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, man. Looking forward to reading more. It ain't easy when you don't have full authority over your own life. Yet. Sounds like you're kicking ass, though.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What did you eat the other day before you had the intestinal issues? It may take some time for your body to adjust and stop craving grains. I believe I've heard of other people having sleep disruption during the transition period.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast