Thread: Bacon & Leek Egg Drop Soup page

docwisdom is offline Junior Member

Red face Bacon & Leek Egg Drop Soup

Shop Now
    I hope a few people get to try this recipe. We were sitting around this morning, wondering what we could make for breakfast. I only had bacon, 2 eggs, and some veggies laying around. Not one to do the same ol' thing, I decided to mix it up a bit and do soup for breakfast. This is what I came up with based loosly off of a bacon and leek recipe out of the Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals book.

INGREDIENTS
    2 medium leeks
    8 strips of thick cut bacon
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp Melinda's fire roasted pepper sauce
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 cup heavy cream

PREPARATION
    First peel the first outer layer off the leek then cut the leek so you have the lightly colored, tender portion to work with. Cut the leek in half lengthwise and once again ito quarters. Chop the leek into 1/2" pieces.
    Soak the leeks in a bowl of cold water to rinse off any dirt trapped in its layers.
    Chop strips of bacon into 1/4" chunks.
    Whisk eggs a small bowl.

COOK IT UP
    Strain chopped leaks and add them to a pot of the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper sauce. Saute bacon over medium high heat until well browned. Add bacon and half the fat drippings to the pot of leeks. Let simmer for 10 minutes to tenderize leeks and let flavors develop. Lower heat and stir while drizzling in the whisked eggs. They will set immediately in the soup. Now add the heavy cream.
    Let the soup come back up to a light simmer before serving.

SERVINGS
    3 large bowls
    Last edited by docwisdom; 11-13-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great,

This will be made some Sat of Sunday morning soon. I look forward to it.

Cheers

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    mmmmm, that sounds like a delightful flavor combination!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

kitana is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration! I had some bacon and cubed pancetta in the freezer, so I made bacon/pancetta, leek and cauliflour soup last night after remembering this thread (but didn't have eggs or cream), and it rocked!

I boiled the cauliflour in 4 cups chicken broth (with seasoning) while I sautee'd the pancetta and bacon, then I tossed the leeks into the bacon and sautee'd them together for ~2 minutes til the leeks were shiny and almost translucent. I set that aside and used my submersible blender to turn the cauliflour into puree and then put it all together in the stock pot and simmered for 15 minutes. My husband and I loved it!

It was the perfect thing for a rainy, windy night!