Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs & fat ratios, thyroid and coming back to life=off with those pounds! page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Need a new game plan. Would love some help!

Primal Fuel
    Hey there everyone,

I've been recovering from a broken metabolism (adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid & high rT3, and thus all other sex hormones were all over the place.)

I'm 5'6 135lbs female and i used to be 120lbs. I'm 28 yrs old today:-) I know some of the weight has already come off just a bit as the hormones are normalizing.

I trying to figure out a caloric intake, fat, protein, and carb ratios for the various days depending on my activity level. I keep reading different thoughts on carb refeeding on weight lifting days but I don't know how much I need.

I've started lifting weights 2-3x per week and I walk for 1 hr ever day and do Pilates or yoga at least 3 times per week. I want to do all I can to rev up my metabolism but everything I do must keep my stress level low. Have had nothing but fun when working out though because my body craves it!! YAY!

Other than that though this lady is resting quite a bit still.

Any input would be most welcome. It's been one hell of a year and I'm very much looking forward to getting my athletic body back

Thanks!!
    Last edited by hermanda; 11-13-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: too much info
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    "broken metabolism (adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid & high rT3, and thus all other sex hormones were all over the place.) "

How did you determine this? Were you diagnosed somehow? I totally think that this is me, but my doctor is too conventional to do proper tests. Were you able to find a doctor who understood these things properly? How did you find him/her? I'm just hoping my body can heal itself with enough time on this diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sorry to say but this diet cannot help this type of hormonal imbalance. It helps a great deal but if you are dealing with what I am/was dealing with, you need a great doc and NOW. I had to go through 2 awful endocrin docs (who made me even sicker) before I found my guy. Blood tests told us all we needed to know. We had to start healing the adrenals first before the thyroid could take treatment. My 2ed endo ignored the adrenals and started dosing me with T3 and it shattered me. Check out nutritional deficiencies too! I have low ferritin and low lithium and zinc without treating that the thyroid can't heal.

Look up "stop the thyroid madness." Look up the "paleo physicians network" and look for a doc that tests for rT3, works with fibromylgia, IBS, hashimoto's, autoimmune issues, chronic fatigue. These docs will understand how all of these ailments are possibly intertwined. DO NOT stay with any doc who will not test rT3 and then wants to stick you on synthroid. OY. Get your sex hormones tested, Free T3, Free T4, rT3, TSH and a 24 hr urine or saliva cortisol test. Feel free to message me about anything. I can't tell you how many wonderful people it took to get me back to where I am. I didn't get the right help until I was weeping on the floor and unable to walk for 5 mins. I was misdiagnosed and mistreated by doctors who have no idea what the latest research is saying. Keep asking questions and get help before it spins out of control.
    All the best to you.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I can't really offer any advice but this is good info. that I need to take with me to my next doc appointment! thanks! our stories are very similar. Happy Birthday too!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    edit

as in too much info?
    :-)

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    If you are being treated by a doctor, shouldn't your doctor be helping you figure this all out?

Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    If you are being treated by a doctor, shouldn't your doctor be helping you figure this all out?
    Sounds like you've had better experiences when it comes to doctors and nutrition than I. While my doc has been wonderful when it comes to unraveling and treating this thyroid/adrenal/pituitary mess he is not sure how to advise me on carb refeeds and ratios of fat and calories.

Still lost and know it's a lot to ask. I'm just really confused on this stuff and was hoping for some insight.
    Any direction would be helpful.
    Thanks again!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    Sounds like you've had better experiences when it comes to doctors and nutrition than I. While my doc has been wonderful when it comes to unraveling and treating this thyroid/adrenal/pituitary mess he is not sure how to advise me on carb refeeds and ratios of fat and calories.
    That's because a doctor wouldn't advise you to do a carb refeed. They would likely just tell you to eat more starchy carbs.

What is wrong with your thyroid, adrenals and pituitary that you think you need to do a carb refeed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast