Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with my frozen cranberries? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

What to do with my frozen cranberries?

Shop Now
    I tend to like sour fruits, like citrus (I used to suck on lemons for snacks) and sour apple varieties, but I don't like these frozen sour cranberries at all.

I tried blending them into a smoothie with blueberries and banana before. Didn't like the added taste from the cranberries. Any suggestions on how I can use up this 8oz bag of antioxidants? Maybe hide them in some savory dish since I don't like many sweets anyway? What goes well with cranberries? Help! >_<

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    how about cranberry sauce? I was thinking of making some sweetened with apples instead of sugar. Goes great with poultry and probably with pork.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I'm expecting a pound of cranberries in my organics box this week, and I plan to make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving next week. I haven't decided yet how I will sweeten it (maybe honey or stevia). Cranberries can be very sour on their own.

Minky is offline Member
    I've made this before, and it was really good!

Raw Cranberry Sauce | Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    I've made this before, and it was really good!

Raw Cranberry Sauce | Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe
    Oooh, that does look good! I really, really do want to try it, especially since I recently got a food processor/blender. However, I'm on a no-fruit thing right now, and I can't afford to bring in excess sugars from any source than from the stuff I REALLY love (ie, chocolate). Any recipes for no more sugar-added items?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I'd go for experimenting with it with pork and/or chicken. I LOVE cranberries but if you don't like the sour then you don't like the sour. Thats kinda all there is to eating them plain!

Hmm what do Americans eat with cranberry sauce anyway? Does it go well with the turkey? Should I just stick it with some ground turkey and make a loaf?

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    It might go well as a side sauce for a good turkey meatloaf. To me, it's not Thanksgiving without roasted turkey and a little bit of cranberry sauce on the side. In my pre-primal days, the best thing after Thanksgiving was a turkey sandwich with cream cheese, lettuce, and cranberry sauce. Might have to make it this year but wrap it in a lettuce leaf instead of bread.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    cranberry sauce is a thanksgiving thing, so typically served with roast turkey/chicken, ham, etc...

I've made a tasty cranberry sauce before using just fresh cranberries, unsalted butter, lemon & stevia. The tartness is definitely prominent, but makes a great sauce for turkey

My first thought would be to simmer the berries with some orange juice (you could add spices: ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, etc.), maybe half a cup per 8 oz. of berries at a guess. After 20 minutes, the berries should give up the ghost, and after 30-35 you should have a decent reduction (add more liquid if necessary). Then use as a glaze on pork, chicken, turkey, or fish.

The tart, crisp cranberry is a nice foil to the fatty lushness of the typical Thanksgiving plate, or even the paleo Thanksgiving plate. Think of it as a palate cleanser if served as a side dish, or a nice contrast if used as a glaze.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast