Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I do with pig's trotters? page 2

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    that recipe looks tasty. I have never seen pigs feet in any other form beyond pickled (which i've never been brave enough to try).

i would actually try cooking them but i can't recall ever having seen them at WF or any other place.

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    I just begged 4 from a local butcher; I have no pride but at least they won't go to waste :-) Yay urban gathering.

They are boiling as I type - each with a slightly different flavour combo. This should leave me swimming in pig jelly until Yule at least.

Pig foot goodness - carraway and cinnamon flavoured jelly. Must stop eating it though .....
    Last edited by MIstressKiki; 09-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Tons of Chinese recipes for this if you are feeling adventurous....
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    Feeling adventurous just cooking pig feet tbh but thanks for the idea x
    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Toss them into any broth you are making and you will get really thick gelatin. If you are able to get the edible chunks out of your broth, you can eat them, but generally they'll somewhat fall apart in the slow-cooker.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    We used to eat pig's feet when growing up. They're delicious if cooked properly
    I'm not sure on the exacts, but I do know that they have a certain.. smell to them that my mom says you have to cook out of them. She boils them for a while and then finishes them in the oven w/ whatever seasoning she uses (usually a red pepper paste seasoning).
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    This is what I did:
    The Primal Gardener: What an Offal Day (Part 2-Trotters)

I saved the bones and leftovers and made stock-talk about gelatin-y!!! If I did it again I would bone out the trotters before cooking, but I hate eating around small bones (which may be why I hate fish so much). I would probably roast them longer as well, to render off more fat and get more crispy skin. They were VERY tasty.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

johnmjoy is offline Member
    You could always do a primal version of crubeens.

blossomthyme is offline Junior Member
    First boil them for an hour and then toss the water completely. Then add more hot water to just cover them, then add chopped celery, onions, peppers, dry herbs, salt and pepper and cook until they are falling off the bone. Make sure to salt the water well while cooking. Then serve them with some vinegar and hot sauce to taste and they will be delicious. This is a southern recipe my mom has always made. Guess you'll have to leave out the cornbread.
    Last edited by blossomthyme; 09-05-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    On tv last week a programme called great British bake off used pig trotters or cows feet to make a Jelly for a trifile .

From London England UK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12