Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how about a list of your favorite (affordable) kitchen gadgets, pans, etd? page

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member

how about a list of your favorite (affordable) kitchen gadgets, pans, etd?

Shop Now
    im thinking of gettin some new toys for the kitchen ..

i have wanted a pressure cooker for a while .. some stoneware to replace my aging glassware for the oven .. and i somehow have made it my whole life without a cuisinart type of appliance (although the only thing i can think to use it for is cauliflower rice so this isnt too important) ...

ive also been dreaming of a decent mandoline to save time cutting veggies .. and a good dutch oven .

what do you guys love that doesnt cost up the ying yang? what comes in handy?
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Silicon muffin pans. If you like to make egg muffins, they slide out so easily and they don't stick to the pan. If I had an extra thumb on each hand, I would give it 4 thumbs up.
    Georgette

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    lmfao @ 4 thumbs up .. i have some of those, they are great .. frittatas!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Paleobird Guest
    I love my crock pot and my dehydrator.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Meh. I bought a mandoline, and I've used it all of one time. I use my Dutch oven all the time to make all sorts of things. I recommend getting the Lodge brand. It's identical to a ridiculously expensive Le Creuset, for one-third the price. I got my cobalt blue Lodge on sale (of course), and it's been one of my best purchases. Excellent value.

I also really am enjoying this little guy. Used him just yesterday, as a matter of fact. Great for when you want to whip up something like a dressing or a dip or a smoothie without digging out the big guns. Quick and easy wash.

Really high ratings:
    Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach Single-Serve Blender with 2 Jars and 2 Lids: Kitchen & Dining
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I love this slicer http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-...d=96OEUXLRFIXS but you need a set of these to go with it Amazon.com: Memphis 185277 Hem Cuff All-Kevlar Glove DuPont KEVLAR Glove, XL: Home Improvement much cheaper in the home improvement section, but required to use a mandoline of any kind as you will get sick of the hand guard in about 10 seconds and cut your hand as quickly without it.

Cast iron pans are gonna give you the best bang for your buck. Take decent care of them and they'll serve your grandkids well.

bobdavis is offline Junior Member
    My favorite stuff in the kitchen:

Kershaw Shun knives - Love how they work, look and stay sharp. The VG-10 steel is awesome, and the knife design (much thinner than a "german" style knife) works great for how I cook. Learn knife skills and you won't be let down with just a couple knives. You really only need maybe 3 - a largish chef's knife, a paring knife and some sort of offset serrated knife.

Unicorn Magnum pepper grinder - I've given several of these out as gifts. If you like pepper, this is the ne plus ultra of pepper grinders.

Spyderco Sharpmaker - gotta keep those knives sharp! I like my fingers, and sharp knives are safer.

Polder probe thermometer - you get the meat ready, stick this in, set the temp target, throw it into the heat (oven, grill, whatever) and wait for the alarm. Perfect.

Le Creuset dutch ovens - I've got a couple that I've picked up over the years. They last, are great quality and you can find them on sale or in the outlets a lot cheaper than retail. I use them all the time.

All Clad pots and pans - I use my 12" fry pan every day. I've had it for probably 15 years and it still looks awesome. You can't go wrong with quality - again, you can find them cheaper than retail. I've even seen them in Costco from time to time. The MC2 line is awesome - aluminum on the outside, stainless on the inside for the best of both worlds.

I have an All-Clad roaster with the cool frame that holds the bird/roast up, which I use a lot. It's big enough to pack with roasting veggies while you cook your bird, so you get the whole thing done in one shot.

Bamboo or steel/nylon cooking tools are awesome, as are a couple sets of tongs.

Cooking twine is necessary. Learn how to tie a roast.

I have a food processor that I nearly never use.

I have a drawer full of convenience "gadgets" I never use.

Keep it simple and focus on learning the techniques. :-)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Love my crockpot and my steamer basket (eggs and veggies). I also love the flat basket with the handle, the one that lets me grill asparagus on the BBQ without dropping them all between the grates.

Just bought a ricer yesterday, so we'll see how that works out.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    I love my toaster oven. I live in the South, so in July and August, it's nice to be able to bake things without heating up the entire kitchen. And I second bobdavis on the knife sharpener or a whetstone or something to sharpen knives for meat and veggies!
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Rather than a mandoline, I love my Salad Shooter. Same basic concept, no chance of finger removal unless you're REALLY stupid and stick them in there (and even then you would be ok unless you have super long fingers).

I also love my immersion blender, I use it at least weekly, usually 2-3 times a week! I have this one, sometimes the different colors are different prices and you can get a great deal on one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast