Thread: new and need guidence page

Roger G is offline Junior Member

new and need guidence

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,
    I have just decided that maybe this primal stuff is what will work for me. I heard about this from a young physical therapist at the office where I do therapy for a partial knee replacement I had 2 months ago. I am 58 yrs. old. I have been a very active man most of my life. I retired fro military service 11 years ago and it seems since then I have been slowly going down hill in my abilities. I train in marital arts, had have been for about 15 years now. It is the only thing I can do reasonably well it seems, and often this has been a problem. I have slipped into eating all the wrong foods, my weight is rising, and my general attitude of myself is not good. The dumb thing is I see and know what I'm doing and have a hell of a time stopping myself from slipping deeper into this unfit , uncomfortable felling about myself. So, as a result, I've been searching for an answer that will help me get out of his serious rut and get back to the person I was and wish to be. I could go on, but I may have lost some of you in this rant of my poor me's I'm talking about. I have ordered the book of The Primal Blueprint and the easy cookbook, hoping this will get me started. I have had an MO of starting and not finishing some of these programs because I felt 1. They are a scam, or 2. It's not for me. Mark seems to have a common sense of the whole healthy lifestyle thing that might be for me. Guess only time will tell. Thanks for the ear to bend.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    My advice is to keep it simple and ignore all the extremist jackasses on these forums. You'll spot 'em easily enough. Here's a diagram to help you out:

Seriously, though, stick by that and you'll be doing well. Being Primal isn't hard. Faffing about with it every week because you want to tweak will lengthen your journey. Get the basics of it down (by reading the book) and then worry about little alterations to it. Understand, apply, observe results, make adjustments. Rinse, repeat, feel and look awesome.

Oh, and start a journal on here. You'll be glad you did.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Hi Roger,

welcome on board!
    People of all age groups recover from several, sometimes severe illnesses and injuries, just browse over all the Success Stories we have on here and you see for yourself

If you ditch all grains, all man made sugars (not raw honey or fresh fruit, etc), all legumes and 'vegetable' oils you will feel the effects (good ones) immediately...probably within the first week.
    Start hunting down grassfed/finished meats, elk, bison, beef, goats, lamb etc and other pasture raised animals like turkey, chicken, duck, pork etc.

I used to be a very active person growing up, even in my 20's, stick thin without an ounce of fat on me, until I hit ~ 30. Now age had nothing to do with it, the SAD diet was taking its toll on me. Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 36, on meds for allergies my entire life. Chronic sinus infections, impossible bowel movements (spare you the details lol), and poor health in general, brittle hair, nails peeling backwards, acne, weight gain of 35 lbs total...which isn't much compared to others, but not being used to it and having a stick body growing up, those 35 lbs sure hindered some of my movements.
    I was so sedative that at the end, at age 38 (also due to rheumatoid arthritis) I wasn't even able to pretend that I'm running...like across a cross-walk.
    My knees ached, my shoulders weighed 200 lbs (so it felt) and the fat around my waist and on my butt jiggled and I could feel it with every step.

Sure glad I found the primal lifestyle. I am cured of everything but a little bit of lower back pain..probably due to me sitting for hours at a time behind my PC at times.
    After being primal for almost 2 years (2 years exactly in April 2012) I have now healed my body enough to do sports again. I started sprinting about a month ago and I'm getting more confident that I don't fall over my own shoes with every sprint I do. I'm also getting faster and can do a full out sprint again for good 30 seconds or more. I recover quicker from a sprint this week than I did last week. I stop and my heart instantly adjusts back to walking speed...when about 3 weeks ago it was pounding hard for about 10 more minutes afterwards.

Just remember, this is about health, nothing else. Some come here to lose weight only and completely miss the point. You can't be healthy eating sick animals. You can't lose healthy weight being sick. Eat clean, healthy animals and vegetables/fruits and your body will do the rest. All you have to do is eat the right stuff...now how easy is that?! You don't even have to be physically active right from the start...many aren't and can't.

Take it easy
    Good Luck

ThousandReasons is offline Junior Member
    Great pic Patrick. Printing it off as I type, I think it'll help me to keep things simple - I tend to over complicate things sometimes.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    My advice is to keep it simple and ignore all the extremist jackasses on these forums. You'll spot 'em easily enough. Here's a diagram to help you out:

Seriously, though, stick by that and you'll be doing well. Being Primal isn't hard. Faffing about with it every week because you want to tweak will lengthen your journey. Get the basics of it down (by reading the book) and then worry about little alterations to it. Understand, apply, observe results, make adjustments. Rinse, repeat, feel and look awesome.

Oh, and start a journal on here. You'll be glad you did.
    This needs to be pinned somewhere...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThousandReasons View Post
    Great pic Patrick. Printing it off as I type, I think it'll help me to keep things simple - I tend to over complicate things sometimes.
    We all do regarding one thing or another. Personally, I loathe complexity and try to keep the following in mind: "It is vain to do with more what can be done with less." -- William of Occam

I'm also fucking lazy, so the "less is more" principle definitely suits me.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)