Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me the sun isn't going to kill me! page

Athanasey is offline Senior Member

Convince me the sun isn't going to kill me!

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed that everyone here is very pro-sunshine. I love it too. Since going primal I've never burnt but I am quite brown. I don't spend hours on end in the sun, a bit of gardening and maybe a walk each day.

I also let my baby play naked in the sunshine. Not at midday or anything extreme. She's never so much as been pink. But we live in Queensland, skin cancer capital of the world. The govt tells me 2/3 children who grow up in Australia will get skin cancer. Now the baby is going brown from her small daily sun exposure and people are starting to comment. Not in a positive she looks healthy way, but in an oh my god you're killing your baby with sunshine way.

My older daughter has very pale skin. She spends as much time in the sun as her sister but still her skin is translucent. She also never gets pink.

So part of me thinks the lack of sunburn means it's ok. But another part of me worries that I'm setting them up for skin cancer, slowly killing them. Mother guilt at it's finest!

FWIW I grew up in PNG and Australia and have never had any suspicious moles. But I let myself get horribly burnt as a teenager a few times so who knows what the future will bring. My sister has had a lot cut out but she is red haired, green eyed and freckly. If she thinks about the sun she burns.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Nads is offline Junior Member

Cool

Vitamin D expert

This interview convinced me.

Wow thanks! That's a great interview, I think I'll get the book.

My sister who has spent her life avoiding the sun has recently been diagnosed with MS. This is the second time now I have heard about the correlation.

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I am a freckled pasty white guy and since starting D3 supplements find it impossible to get a sunburn. I spent more time in the sun this year than at any time since I was a teenager and maybe got a little red (w/o sunblock mind you) but nothing that didn't dissipate the next day. I landed up w/ a nice tan.

That said, I've been to OZ and dear God the sun is strong down under. I burned the inside of my mouth below my lips from hard breathing on a 10 day bike trip in Tazzy. When snorkeling on the reef up north I wore a t-shirt, and back then I had some hair on top as well I don't know if it's the ozone hole or what but it is different.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Even my totally conventional doctor doesn't get too concerned. I mean, he gives all the warnings about using sunscreen and all that, but being a red-head, he's had to freeze tons of pre-cancerous lesions off his own forehead, and as he freezes them off my face every year, he tells me not to worry about it. They almost never turn into real cancer. It's about the only thing in CW that he doesn't get all bat-shite crazy over.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    some of us scandanavian pale people can handle more sun w/adequate Vitamin D intake, BUT.....the fact that some is good for you doesn't mean more is better.

Coconut oil has some health benefits, but if you ate a jar in one sitting, or even multiple tablespoons, you would NOT feel healthy.

Figure out your indvidual tolerance, and stay within that. However our ancestors lived, tens of thousands of years ago matters very little to someone living with super fair skin today, in Australia. Protect yourself when you've had enough....put on clothes and a hat, or, barring that, some mineral sunscreen, or go inside. More is NOT better.

Keep in mind that there are other rich sources of Vitamin D that our ancestors used: a wealth of cold water fish, etc.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    So you're telling me that 66.6% of australians are going to have skin cancer? That has got to be the biggest load of bull shit ever to be dumped onto a computer screen.
    If the sun was half as lethal as everyone says then we wouldn't be alive today.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fair-skinned, blue-eyed blonde with German, Irish and French genes. Yeah, I'm pale. But I spend hours and hours out in the sun, literally from sunrise (6am) to at least noon, and I haven't used sunscreen in at least 2 years. The only time I've gotten a sunburn in that time was when I went on vacation and wore a bikini. I generally don't go flashing my belly at work or I'll get fired, so it was white as snow and got a light sunburn.

Being out in the sun and tanning is not the issue. Getting burned is, so you do have to work up to it if you're starting from pasty white. I never understood how my outdoorsy dad, the one that never wore sunscreen, never got skin cancer while my constantly indoors mom did. Twice. Now I get it.

ETA: In my avatar, I actually used medical-type makeup (like to cover scars, port wine stains and tattoos) to cover the farmer tan that makes a dark V right below my neck. I'm that pale naturally and I get that dark.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Ivy Blue - I think being closer to the equator we get closer to the sun. It makes it more intense.

Fitmom - I definitely wasn't trying to say that more sun = better. We've built our skin colour very slowly from gradual skin exposure. If we were doing something like going to the beach for the day the kids would be in rashies with hats. Both of them seem to be allergic to sunscreen so covering up is the better option for us.

Alex Good - Here is the link to one government website stating just that Skin cancer - risk factors | Better Health Channel
    I read somewhere else that of those 1 in 60 will be potentially deadly. I'm not sure what the other 59 are? I think the argument here is that the people that lived here in palaeolithic times were very dark skinned.

Rita Rose- That's very reassuring.

Thanks again. My brain was sent into panic mode by a parenting forum I belong to. They were ripping into a mother who had her baby outside at 3pm and some of her skin was exposed. I was too scared to say anything.

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am in Tasmania, and even though the temperature doesn't reach Qld's temps...the sun does burn a lot quicker, even on low temp days. Many a tourist's holidays have been ruined by a severe bout of sunburn because they hadn't expected the sun to burn so much at such low temps.

I am not a sun bunny and do not spend hours sunbaking, that said, I do enjoy being out in the sun for incidental activity, and I do take some minor precautions.

Primal Blueprint book provided some reasonable guidelines for exposure to the sun.
    Last edited by kkarrolle; 11-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast