Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definitive guide to PUFA? page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Definitive guide to PUFA?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I'm on board with "too much omega-6 = bad." I don't eat salad dressing, and I recently ditched mayo. When I saute, it's with coconut oil or bacon fat; rarely, it's butter or olive oil.

What I'm confused about has to do with non-oil foods. Which ones are great? Which ones should be in moderation? Which ones are right up there with grains and should be avoided? I've read conflicting information about certain nuts, like almonds (which I think are bad, right? So I should pitch my almond flour? Even though so many primal/paleo recipes call for it?) and pecans -- I've mostly replaced these nuts as snacks with raw macadamias and raw hazelnuts, but are almonds things to avoid, or have in moderation? What about fish -- which ones are best/worst?

Help! Could someone please either post or point me in the right direction of the Definitive Guide to PUFA -- specifically, one that lists BENEFICIAL PUFA FOODS and PUFA FOODS TO AVOID?

Many thanks in advance!

1) Avoid eating any nuts regularly, chicken fat, and vegetable/seed oils. (more important than avoiding grains, imo, although ymmv.)
    2) Eat oily fish (mackerel/sardines etc.) rather than tuna/whitefish most of the time.

That's pretty much it.

activia is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with tuna/white fish? They have a lot of O3 and not that much O6.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post
    1) Avoid eating any nuts regularly, chicken fat, and vegetable/seed oils. (more important than avoiding grains, imo, although ymmv.)
    2) Eat oily fish (mackerel/sardines etc.) rather than tuna/whitefish most of the time.

That's pretty much it.
    That would have been my exact advice, too! It really is easy. The biggest source of O6 in the SAD is vegetable oil. Think fried foods, prepared foods, margarine, and things packed in vegetable oil. Eliminate all these, which is pretty easy, and then cut back on nuts and grains. I bought a bag of almond flour a few months ago and have only used any of it a couple times. I have a jar of almond butter in the pantry that I'll sneak a spoon of every couple weeks. I eat macadamias pretty regular, though.

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    What's wrong with tuna/white fish? They have a lot of O3 and not that much O6.
    Nothing wrong at all, but sardines kick ass!

TESTOSTERONE NATION | Sardines vs. Tuna - Page 1

Not to mention the whole mercury issue.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Many thanks!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    lol don't avoid nuts. If pufas were so bad why does just about every study ever done on nuts show health benefits of them? Do you base your nutritional knowledge on gut feelings or scientific studies? Wake up people!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    This is a great chart
    Omega6-Omega3GraphFix.jpg (image)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Okay, I'm on board with "too much omega-6 = bad." I don't eat salad dressing, and I recently ditched mayo. When I saute, it's with coconut oil or bacon fat; rarely, it's butter or olive oil.
    You don't have to live a life devoid of mayo. You can make your own with CO. This then can become the base for many a delightful salad dressing (add spices, vinegars, lemon, etc.)

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    lol don't avoid nuts. If pufas were so bad why does just about every study ever done on nuts show health benefits of them? Do you base your nutritional knowledge on gut feelings or scientific studies? Wake up people!
    Re: the studies. People who eat nuts also usually eat decent food overall. Same deal as with the 'healthier' breakfast eaters.

The nutritional bang/buck is just not there with nuts. They also tasty pretty bland eaten on their own imo. I'll toss a few in a salad every now and then, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast