Thread: Camellia oil... have you even heard of it? page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Camellia oil... have you even heard of it?

Primal Fuel
    I've just noticed that my 'macadamia oil' is actually a blend of oils!!! (Doh, that'll teach me to read labels better, eh?) So, rather than being pure macadamia oil, it's actually a mixture of macadamia, olive oil and camellia oil ! (And I've been drizzling it on all my salads, thinking it was pure macadamia! now I might have to rethink...!)

However I've never actually heard of camellia oil before and I can't find any reference to it on here, so does anyone know of it, and if it's a good oil or not?

Thanks.

OK, I found this:

Camellia Seed Oil is highly penetrating and is a nutritive addition to face creams, anti-wrinkle serums, anti-aging formulations, lip care products, hair products, make-up, sun care preparations, baby products, shaving products and other cosmeceutical formulations.

Camellia Oil is virtually odorless and possesses only a slight herbal aroma. It is virtually clear with a slight yellow hue. Camellia Oil is light in texture and absorbs quickly. It has a shelf life of at least 18 months when stored in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight. The recommended usage is 2-10% in most formulations.

Green, black, white and oolong tea leaves are harvested from Camellia oleifera and sometimes Camellia sinensis. These species are also popularly known as the Tea Plant. Like the teas made from these species, Camellia Oil exhibits exceptional antioxidant activity. Although Camellia Oil is often referred to as Tea Oil or Tea Seed Oil, it should not be confused with the volatile essential oil of Tea Tree.

The fruit of the camellia consists of several small chambers, each playing host to a number of seeds within it. Camellia seeds contain between 40-50% of nutritive oil that is low in saturated fat.

Approximately 85% of the fatty acid composition contained in Camellia Oil is in the form of monounsaturated oleic acid. Camellia Oil is also a rich source of other omega 3,6 and 9 fatty acids plus Vitamin E and polyphenols.

Although the seeds and leaves contain caffeine, caffeine is a water soluble compound that is not present in Camellia Oil.

Historically, Camellia Oil has been the main culinary oil used throughout the southern provinces of China. Camellia Oil has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol. It is a high quality cooking oil that remains stable at high temperatures. It possesses a high smoke point of 485°F (251°C).

Camellia Oil offers similar nutritive and culinary properties to Olive Oil. The culinary use of Camellia Oil throughout the US, Europe and Canada has been on the rise over the past few years. In addition to being a noteworthy cooking oil, cold pressed Camellia Oil is a nutritive cosmeceutical oil that is said to be the ancient beauty secret of the geishas.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    I ran across camellia oil when looking into high oleic oils other than olive, it seemed interesting but as I'm a long way from southern china I've only ever seen it for sale once, in a tiny bottle for an absurd price.

edit: in looking for a breakdown, i found this: http://www.springerlink.com/content/...4/fulltext.pdf
    it seems the bulk of the oil is oleic, some palmitic and 7-14% polyunsaturated, of which most is linolenic acid.(omega6) Also present is a saturated fat C19:0 I'm unfamiliar with, wikipedia lists as Nonadecylic acid
    Last edited by Fury; 11-12-2011 at 02:30 PM.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    ....so does anyone know of it, and if it's a good oil or not?

Thanks.
    It's great. Although I don't use it for the same purpose as you. Being a woodworker, I have some in the shop for this:

Light and odorless, Camellia oil is the preferred anti-corrosion coating for woodworking tools. An occasional application of this non-staining oil will keep your steel tools bright and rust free. The 8 oz. bottle includes a pump spray for quick application.
    (woodcraft site)

You are welcome.

Tom
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Hmm, Tom, on your tools?!?

That makes me want to add it to my salad! LOL

greensleeves is offline Member
    Green Tea oil is sold at every Whole Foods. You'll also find it in high-end skincare nowadays. Organic Green Tea Oil | WholeFoods Magazine

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    Green Tea oil is sold at every Whole Foods. You'll also find it in high-end skincare nowadays. Organic Green Tea Oil | WholeFoods Magazine
    That magazine has nothing to do with "Whole Foods Market." It is simply a coincidental name. This oil can be found in some, but not all, Whole Foods stores.

P.S. Tom, Coconut oil is what I use for tools
    Last edited by ikaika; 02-05-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    Little Saiyan