Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Naturally Primal (I swear I was Ayla in a past life :P LOL) page 25

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Feeling much better now I have been simplifying things. Just eating when I am hungry, not if I am not. Walking each day.
    Next time I step onto the scales will be 1st March. My health is the most important thing right now, weight loss will follow, weight loss can't be my main focus, as its extremely stressful.

As for my studying, I am finished 2 of 4 assessments for my Remedial Massage unit. One more theory assessment to go, then I need to work on the practical, and practising on my husband, before I have to find 5 real live people for my final assessment for this unit. Then on to Iridology.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    well done Ayla - on the simplifying and the study, also the walking.
    We can do this - and live a full healthy enjoyable life along the way
    keep at it
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Yep G that is exactly it
    And on that note, now that it is cooling down I will go for my 5 km walk.

I recently went to the Dr, mostly just due to impatience and not losing weight fast enough. Yes I lost 4 kg in Jan, but nothing Oct-Jan even though 100% primal, and def not eating too much. I counted calories for a bit there.

So i went and he requested tests for thyroid and insulin and glucose. While I was there he tested my blood sugar levels with a monitor and it was 9.4 even though I had not eaten for 6 hours. So came back the next day for the tests he requested since I had to have fasted over night.

Insulin levels came back at 150 (normal is under 10 while fasted) and glucose 7.7, which was also high.

Considering I eat no sugar that is bad.

So Dr says I have diabetes and wants me on Metformin. I am going back for some other tests in the morning as well as a repeat on the insulin, as it seems crazy high, but he said its probably not wrong. Then to start Metformin and go back in a week and see him.
    I am unsure about taking it.

It just sucks because all those years (12 + of binge eating and various diets) has taken its toll on my body and the damage has been done. Its going to take longer than 3 months of 100% paleo to reverse this damage. And I may need the drugs to help it. Losing weight will help too, but its not like I am not trying to do that.

Feeling so crap about this. My dad also has type 2 diabetes, and is on Metformin, but I spoke to him today and his levels aren’t staying down, and his Dr wants him on Insulin.

I have a blood sugar level monitor for home now to keep an eye on it as well.

I am undecided on what to do.

Surprisingly, my Dr wants me to keep eating the way I am. Not that I would not just because he said so.

As for school. My son was spoken to about hitting again. I don't know what the hell is going on. We have never had this problem when he was at pre-school or playing with other kids.
    The teacher is so vague. She tells me today he was spoken to with 2 other boys by another teacher. Trying to get my 5 year old to explain is like pulling teeth. Do they all get confused at this age about what is real and what is not?
    He is insisting that they are hurting him first. He knows its not OK to hit back, but if this is true how do we stop them annoying him first? I will try again tomorrow and tell the teacher I need a full explanation. How can we deal with this at home, if we don't know the full story about what is going on?

Ok so I got to speak to the teacher, and the other teacher who spoke to him yesterday. Now I have a full picture of what has been happening.
    And they also told me that it is very normal for children of this age, to get confused and struggle to explain things that has happened, so I do feel much better about it all now.
    He only hit another child once, when she pushed him. He knows this is not OK, but now I know why that happened. The other times he has been spoken to, and then again by the other teacher (head of kindy) was because him and 2 boys were constantly playing a wrestling game, and the school does not allow that kind of play, they were given warnings by their own teacher 2 times and then because they did it again, so the head of kindy reminded them its not ok to play rough games. I had a good talk to my son now I got the whole story. The teacher is also going to keep an eye on the 3 of them, as they also be silly during class. I don't know who is the leader of this group, and encouraging the bad behaviour, and I truly don't believe its my son, but we shall see. I asked the teacher if she could keep a note of exactly what happens if there is any other problems, as I need to know what is going on exactly so we are able to deal with this at home. She was happy to do so, so that also makes me feel better. I had a good long (well 20 mins, because they had a meeting) chat to them, and I got some other stuff clarified too.
    I also spent 3 hours talking to another mum this morning outside the school. My poor 2.5 year old wanted to be picked up and fell asleep in my arms. That is rare these days, but he loves going to school, and there is a little play ground there so he had a good play. This mum is so much like me, and my son is in the same class as hers, and they get along great. Looking forward to getting to know them some more.

I had the other blood tests that the Dr wanted this morning. I have got a blood sugar monitor at home, and will keep an eye on my sugar levels. As for the metformin, I am undecided on that yet. I just think its going to take much longer on 100% to repair the damage that has been done. I need to read as much as I can on metformin before I decide.
    School days are hectic, by the time I do other things, and then play at the play ground after school (need to go early to do this instead, but had the blood test before school) then get home and cook, clean up, get our boys to bed, its now 8.30 and too dark for my walk (I don't feel safe at night around here), I need to switch some things around, as its so important for me to get in a walk every night, id like to do 4 km minimum. I really enjoy it.
    Any ideas for switching things around? Oh and I still have to assemble the lunches, I make my youngest the same in his cool Planet Box lunch box.

Tomorrow is big shopping day, so butcher and farm for fresh produce. We also need a few supermarket items, like tuna and toilet paper. I think there is a few more things on the list, but that adds a 3rd location to go tomorrow, so may have to go on Thursday to not make it too much for my youngest. Plus I have a lot of organising I want to do around the house, like clean, LOL.
    I am feeling quite energetic, and good actually

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Feeling much better now I have been simplifying things. Just eating when I am hungry, not if I am not. Walking each day.
    Next time I step onto the scales will be 1st March. My health is the most important thing right now, weight loss will follow, weight loss can't be my main focus, as its extremely stressful.

As for my studying, I am finished 2 of 4 assessments for my Remedial Massage unit. One more theory assessment to go, then I need to work on the practical, and practising on my husband, before I have to find 5 real live people for my final assessment for this unit. Then on to Iridology.
    my hands up for a massage!!!!

Where are you? Ill be right over

OK so Dr still says Diabetes. I have not decided about taking the meds as yet. But these are the results from the other day:

Total Chol 4.7 mmol/L
    HDL 1.7 mmol/L (>1.0)
    LDL 2.5 (this is highlighted) (>2.5) mmol/L

Triglyceride 1.2 mmol/L (<1.5)
    LDL/HDL Ratio 1.5
    Chol/HDL Ratio 2.8

Underneath it says: LDL exceeds the target for high risk patients. Diabetes noted.

There is a whole list of general chemistry, all showing normal.

Fasting glucose 7.7 mmol/L (3.0-5.4 mmol/L)

But my HbA1C - (DCCT) 5.2 % (IFCC) 33 mmol/L
    This was in the normal ranges, and the Dr could not explain this, but due to the insulin level which was 150 last week, and 127 mu/L this week, he still says diabetes.

Will keep eating as I am for now, and not start the meds. I just want to see what happens with my sugar levels at home, and how my weight loss goes with more walking in.
    I have had mostly sugar levels in the normal range, but the odd higher one, like after eating a banana. I did that to test things out.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am so freaking overwhelmed by all this stuff. Why does life have to be so complicated? Why have I damaged my health so badly. I wish I had been raised right, and taught about eating just real food, like I am trying to teach my children. I can't have this happen to them. This damage is going to take ages to fix, and maybe I do need to take the drugs. Yes it appears I need to eat more, but I am just not hungry. Considering lowering my fat a little so I might start to feel hungry a bit more, and have some leaner proteins and more veg. I cannot go back to counting calories and macros. I have been loving this freedom of not bingeing, and I do believe if I was to start obsessing about the numbers again id go back to bingeing.
    High insulin apparently stops or slows weight loss according to the Dr, and the drugs will bring the insulin down, helping me lose weight, then losing weight brings it down even more, I guess that makes sense.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast