Thread: rheumatoid arthritis flaring up since going primal? page

kmax1000 is offline Junior Member

rheumatoid arthritis flaring up since going primal?

Shop Now
    Any help or ideas for a primal friend of mine (who I convinced to try primal). Here is what she says...

"So I have rheumatoid arthritis n my knee and it's basically been n so called remission since I was like 12 [she is 37 now]. The only flare up since was when I was pregnant . And the dr wasn't surprised. But now I've had 2 since starting this [going primal about a month ago]. I'm wondering too much folic acid? 2 much red meat? Just could b coincidence..?! The saga continues" [she may be fairly chronic on her cardio still - she does some P90x and Insanity workouts]
    Last edited by kmax1000; 11-11-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Claraflo is offline Member
    Is she eating nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum, corn?) and is she hydating herself properly? I find eating dehydrates me and I cannot eat it at night without waking up headachey.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would wonder about nightshades as well. Definitely a trigger for some autoimmune disease - they are a major trigger for my RA.

It is pretty unusual to have RA in just one joint. Is she sure about the diagnosis?

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I would wonder about nightshades as well. Definitely a trigger for some autoimmune disease - they are a major trigger for my RA.

It is pretty unusual to have RA in just one joint. Is she sure about the diagnosis?
    I can add to this one... I have Psoriatic Arthritis which is quite closely linked to Rheumatoid....I gave up nightshades about a year ago and my joints (Both fore fingers, some toes, connective tissues in my neck, both knees)improved remarkably....I went Primal at the start of August and there was further improvement...I think it may have been dropping grains that had the effect this time...I am actually getting to the point where I am wondering if I need to stay on my Methotrexate in the long term

CanisDirus is offline Member
    I have RA and I can eat potatoes and not have a flare up, I don't eat them often... But there you go. I find that when I eat a lot of red meat I tend to flare up, though. Although without knowing what your friend is eating and what exercises she's doing it's hard to really say what is up with her knee.

Quote Originally Posted by CanisDirus View Post
    I have RA and I can eat potatoes and not have a flare up, I don't eat them often... But there you go. I find that when I eat a lot of red meat I tend to flare up, though. Although without knowing what your friend is eating and what exercises she's doing it's hard to really say what is up with her knee.
    I am definitely sensitive to nightshades....I get sausage fingers/toes for a week or so after the offending meal......it used to last months before I started the methotrexate....I hate to think what damage I have done by eating the nightshades.....
    I have no idea what started my arthritis as I didn't used to have these issues until about 10 years ago..

CanisDirus is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynavel View Post
    I am definitely sensitive to nightshades....I get sausage fingers/toes for a week or so after the offending meal......it used to last months before I started the methotrexate....I hate to think what damage I have done by eating the nightshades.....
    I have no idea what started my arthritis as I didn't used to have these issues until about 10 years ago..
    Woah! Is it some sort of an allergy? That's pretty bad...

My RA is from Lupus, but since I cut out grains I find that I am not as swollen, even though I might have some pain. Potatoes are in my 20% so I don't eat them often. I've never noticed a problem prior, but I'll certainly pay more attention the next time I eat them since so many people report issues with them.

My RA is from Lupus, but since I cut out grains I find that I am not as swollen, even though I might have some pain. Potatoes are in my 20% so I don't eat them often. I've never noticed a problem prior, but I'll certainly pay more attention the next time I eat them since so many people report issues with them.
    Most people will go a whole lifetime and never notice an effect so don't be scared of them...just be aware that there is the possibility of sensitivity.
    I used to be out running 10k's....5 nights per week and the first I knew of the arthritis was a sudden excruciating pain in one of my toes which meant I had to hobble a few kilometres back home in the rain....I don't know if it was the running that caused it or if it was something to do with the job that I had at the time....(analysing pharmaceutically active and pure steroids in quantities well exceeding a normal human dose)....that's life....just got to get on with it now..
    Try reading this book (nightshade free pain free)....Nightshade Free Pain Free! (can also be bought from amazon)....It is quite an eye opener.

jammies is offline Senior Member

You may not notice that potatoes are giving you trouble if you are still eating other nightshades. Even very small amounts of chili powder can flare me. It wasn't until I did an insanely strict 30 day elimination of all nightshades that I saw great improvement. I had a plate a mashed potatoes at a dinner one night and my the next morning my knees had tripled in size. It really is very crazy.

BTW - I read a paper a couple of years ago where the others were calling lupus associated RA - "Rhupus". Not there is anything funny about the disease, but I remember laughing at how frickin' stupid that name was....sounds like a new Sesame Street Character

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Go on the GAPS diet. Your gut is compromised, leading to autoimmunity.

(don't be scared of the source of this article. GAPS is not associated with any religion, it was created by a neurosurgeon)
    GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

Healing Rheumatoid Arthritis on GAPS Diet: Elli Sparks 01/11 by BethWiles | Blog Talk Radio
    Last edited by me2; 06-29-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.