Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Primal Enough?? page

Suz Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi All,

JUST stumbled upon this awesome website this past weekend and am in need of some critical suggestions/recommendations on how I am eating. Please let me know what I can modify to be at my optimal health and, of course, primal state.

B: 2 Eggs, 1.5 Tablespoon Almond Butter, 1 cheese stick

OR 1 Apple, 1 C cottage cheese, 1 T almond butter

OR 2 hard boiled eggs, 10 almonds, coffee

L: 3 oz Chicken or Salmon, lots of Spinach, olive oil as dressing, salt & pepper to taste

OR 3 oz chicken, 1 bell pepper, 1 apple

S: 1 string cheese, 1 cup sliced strawberries, 4 almonds

D: 3 oz steak, lots of broccli & onions

S: 1 cup soymilk

OR 1 string cheese, 1 cup sliced strawberries

I am at 125lbs trying to get to 115lbs. I also work out 6 times a week doing CrossFit and/or running.

What do you guys think? Enough fat? One question I had was whether or not each meal/snack HAD to have an equal ratio of carb and protein.

Thanks in advance!!

Suz Guest

After reading someone's post on FitDay I entered in the above menu and here are the stats:

Total Calories: 1,387

Fat: 100.5 grams / 64%

Carb: 67.8 grams / 18%

Protein: 67.4 grams / 18%

Since I'm new to this I'm not exactly sure where this stands relative to what is good... help?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

The cheese and soy milk are not primal. Judging from your carb intake, the apples are probably not too sweet, so that's good. If you want to go 100% primal, you should also watch for the sources of meat and veggies (grass-fed beef, organic produce, etc).

I think the stats look great. You seem to be doing very good with he proportions.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Suz Guest

Eh, I knew someone was gonna mention the cheese and soymilk.

So what other protein ideas can you suggest aside from cheese? It's just so convenient to pack! Is cottage cheese ok since it is less processed?

Also, is almond milk a good alternative to soy? First I let go of regular 'ol milk and now it looks like soy...

Conan Guest

Yes, almond milk is a good alternative and the taste isn't that much different. Your protein is definitely a bit low, I would shoot for 100g/day. Make your 3oz meat 5-6oz and you'll be there.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Almond milk is good... I've heard of hazelnut milk or cashew milk too. All would be appropriate. Or coconut milk (totally different).

For the cheese stick alternative... you could really eat anything, like a small piece of chicken. haha.

But if it needs to be self-contained in order to feel like a "snack" a hard-boiled egg is perfect for that...

or some pepperoni or something (though not sure how primal pepperoni/summer sausage would be since I imagine it's more processed than most "Straight-up" meats)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Suz, while diary is not ideal in the PB, the "oldest" the cheese the better due to it's lower carb content. But then your carb levels are pretty good already so maybe you can afford the cottage indulgence. Many believe that diary stalls weight loss, so that might be an issue as well.

Almond milk is definitively better than soy milk. And about sources of proteins, any carcass will do . Nuts are also a good source of proteins, so you could have some more of them too.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Suz Guest

Thanks guys. I think I need to consider taking the cheese out and replacing it with some other sort of protein. I think it's time to fall in love with the egg!

@Conan: you think up'ing the protein would help with weight loss too? I guess this is where conventional wisdom from the past is telling me more protein would stall weight loss.

Lastly, what are your guys' thoughts on Arrowroot and Buckwheat? They are considered plants/herbs but I know the arrowroot is said to be quite starchy.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Definitely do fall in love.

I boil about a dozen eggs at a time, and keep them in the fridge for snacks/meals all week.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Suz Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@FlyNavyWife: excellent idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast