Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body by Science page

trypleight is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Has anyone tried this style of working out? If so, how are the reults? Is it enough?

jpickett1968 Guest

trypleight - I recently started a thread on how often folks exercise. Body By Science was listed at least twice in that thread. I just looked up the site a bit, but am dying to hear the replies from others. The site reputes you can workout for only 12 minutes a week. ??? How is that possible?

I'll look forward to the replies and explanations. Talk about challenging Conventional Wisdom!

JulieD Guest

Here are some videos by Doug McGuff, one of the authors:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bodybyscience#p/u

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Great book! It's on Ebay for 3 bucks, as an eBook. I highly reccomend it. I believe user Vick and Chima_P are good test dummies on the Body by Exercise protocol...

Vick is offline Senior Member

I love it. My wife does it too. I try and keep each exercise under 90 seconds. When we get that high we increase the weight. We started this mid November.

We did have to change the upper body exercises from 4 to 2 a week to get the proper results. The reason was over lap of some upper muscles were fatigued during the first exercise so it affected proper effort on the other upper body exercises. The adjustment is showing us gains with all the exercises.

The leg press has been perfect. It is a little short of full range because I keep the safety blocks in place. November 9th I did 270 lbs for 71 seconds. Last week I did 560 lbs for 43 seconds. This week I'll stay at 560 and go for more time.

Since neither one of us is experienced in lifting we do a couple reps at half weight to confirm our form then we load it up and time each other. Failure is defined as being unable to complete the next full rep. The other important part is safety. Because we use hammer machines we can't drop the weights on ourselves. This means we can do maximum effort on the final rep which is important according to studies by Dr. Carpinelli.

We keep it under 90 seconds so that we provide sequential stimulation through the 4 types of muscles but end before the slow twitch muscles have a chance to recycle.

dfast is offline Member

I'd love to hear if anyone is doing this at home, or with free weights at the gym (I don't have access to a gym at the moment but have a good deal of equipment at home which I've been using for a few months). Safety is obviously paramount, so without a spotter or a power rack I'm probably not going to be able to give this a go just yet...

For free weights, (pages 81 -85)

Bent over row

Standing overhead press

Dead lift

Bench press

Squat

The bench press is the one where you need a spotter, because the other exercises you can drop the barbell.

Push ups is one option to replace the bench press.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

@Vick

You DEFINITELY need a spot when you're squatting too, or at least have the safety bars in place. Often times, especially when you're inexperienced, you'll fail at the hips/lower back and if no one's there to help you you're going face first into the floor with the barbell following closely behind.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

@Jokaman70 That makes sense to me. Thanks.

dfast is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

Thanks Vick. I actually have the book and remember reading about the free weights exercise selection; was just wondering if anyone has actually done it!

I'm going to play around with increasing the TUL in my current workouts, whilst aiming to reduce the overall time spent doing them. Then hopefully when I get access to a gym again I can give it a proper bash.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast