Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Flexible enough for pistol squats? page

squeally dan is offline Member

Not Flexible enough for pistol squats?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been working on pistol squats for awhlie. Lately I have been using the progression in Convict Conditioning. I can do them with the help of a door or TRX. I can also do 1/2 pistols in to a low chair, but I can't do them without assistance all the way down, and it feels like I'm too tight in the hips, ankles, etc. I think I have the strength, but not the flexiblity. This is one exercise I want to master. Anyone else run in to this? Any good stretches?
    Last edited by Admin; 12-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been having a lot of problems transitioning to the Uneven Squats, actually.

Some thoughts:
    I don't have the hip flexor strength/endurance to keep my foot off the ground.
    I don't have the balance to go all the way down without falling over.
    I think my lower back is rounding in the low position of the squat.
    I think my ankles are maybe a little tight, but I think other problems are affecting me more.

Things I've been trying:
    1-leg Squats on a bench, to build strength, while I continue to work out my issues.
    Half Uneven squats, to start working on my balance and flexibility.
    Static holds in the low position for uneven squats.
    Assisted uneven squats, using a TRX or something to keep from falling over.
    Even uneven squats- put the non-lifting foot directly on the floor, but with a straight knee.

Things I intend to try:
    Weighted knee raises or some other exercise to work my hip flexor strength.

I'm not too worried about it yet, though. I made good time through all the other CC levels up to this point (~7-8 months), gaining both size and strength in the process. My thighs have more muscle now than any time in the past 6.5 years, since I busted up my one leg and my other foot. I'm going to keep working it and I think I'll get there eventually.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm sort of dealing with this too. sort of, because i just started one legged box squats (mark's progression from pbf) a few weeks ago. i'm pretty sure i have the strength, but definitely not the flexibility and mobility. i've been trying dorsiflexion to increase my ankle mobility and i'm curious to see if that helps solve the problem
    what are your progressions like? and have you been working on them long? if there's one i've been finding it's that it's probably going to take a while to get competent, let alone good, at pistols.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    I do convict conditioning as well. I went from close squats to pistols (woo, step 6 to 10 in one shot). I played with the one where you do a pistol with your foot on a basketball/soccer ball but I had balance issues. Anyway, I'd recommend holding a weight to counterbalance yourself; an excellent use for a kettlebell if you have one lying around. Try to keep getting lower and lower and sink into the pistol. The counterweight should help out with keeping your balance while getting progressively lower and lower. Try to think of it as PNF stretching to get all the way down. That way you get used to using your leg stabilizers to stabilize yourself instead of your upper-body.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Chapstick is offline Member
    edit
    Last edited by Chapstick; 11-13-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I've just gotten to the uneven squat myself in the CC program. I've spent about 2 months on each step and have (until now) found the new exercise relatively easy. By that I mean that the program builds you up to pretty high numbers (in my opinion) of a certain exercise and then when you go to a harder variation, the reps drop. I find the lower rep ranges relatively easy. But th uneven squat is the biggest step so far for me. I'm not even close on it. I think it's a mixture of strength, flexibility and skill for me. My legs are strong (I can do two legged squats all day), but the one leg variety is so impossible it almost makes me want to quit on it. But I won't.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Setabas View Post
    I've just gotten to the uneven squat myself in the CC program. I've spent about 2 months on each step and have (until now) found the new exercise relatively easy. By that I mean that the program builds you up to pretty high numbers (in my opinion) of a certain exercise and then when you go to a harder variation, the reps drop. I find the lower rep ranges relatively easy. But th uneven squat is the biggest step so far for me. I'm not even close on it. I think it's a mixture of strength, flexibility and skill for me. My legs are strong (I can do two legged squats all day), but the one leg variety is so impossible it almost makes me want to quit on it. But I won't.
    I've been having a similar issue transitioning from uneven pushups to the half 1-arm pushup, so I don't think it is just the squat progression. That jump from two limbs to one is a big one for me.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    If you can do any movement with assistance (TRX, band, partner etc.) then it is not a flexibility issue - it's a strength issue.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Be patient with advanced exercises like pistols - some people get it quicker than others, but it can take years if you're starting from scratch.

Is is safe to assume you've already seen my article on pistol squats?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

La.C is offline Member
    Try these for strengthening and stretching your hips at the same time.

Garland pose is unbelievably comfortable with flexible hips. It's a great stretch that can be done when you are sitting around watching TV or whatever. Along with loosening up the hips, it stretches and strengthens your thighs, and stretches your ankles and your back torso.

Eagle pose stretches every major joint in the body if done with correct form. It builds balance, coordination and focus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast