Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone put cabbage in a drum and let it sit in water for a long time? page

dado Guest

does anyone put cabbage in a drum and let it sit in water for a long time?

what is this called in english language? my father used to do it. they called it 'kiseli kupus' in the old country, which would translate to sour cabbage.

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like Sauerkraut to me. Have never made it but read a great book about it one time - Wild Fermentation.

Basically shread cabbage, submerge in water with a plate or something heave on top to keep cabbage below water line, and let it sit. Think that's about it.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCity.X View Post
    Sounds like Sauerkraut to me. Have never made it but read a great book about it one time - Wild Fermentation.

Basically shread cabbage, submerge in water with a plate or something heave on top to keep cabbage below water line, and let it sit. Think that's about it.
    That's exactly it! So this is sauerkraut. Very good.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I've always sprinked mine with salt as I pack it down in the crock, didn't know it would kraut without. Put a weight on top (plate, bag of water, etc.) to keep it submerged, park it in a cool spot like a basement or unheated room & forget it for a few weeks. Good stuff and really good for you.

dado Guest
    can you tell me more about how it's good for you, LJH? my father used to do this every year, but i was never a fan, but now i see the wisdom.

we used to make what we call 'sarma', which is ground beef rolled in these kiseli kupus leaves; i think we got this when the turks invaded europe and left their coffee and sarma in bosnia.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I just made my first batch recently and it was awesome. I'd made kimchi before, but wanted to switch it up.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Dado, it's supposed to be an outstanding probiotic and great for the gut cooties, etc. I dunno, I just grew up loving the stuff and make it regularly.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Dado, it's supposed to be an outstanding probiotic and great for the gut cooties, etc. I dunno, I just grew up loving the stuff and make it regularly.
    very cool. are you slavic too, or is this something many countries do? i grew up thinking it was a yugoslav thing.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    very cool. are you slavic too, or is this something many countries do? i grew up thinking it was a yugoslav thing.
    Sauerkraut is actually a German word (sour+cabbage). They eat a lot of it. I used to be married to a German.

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sauerkraut is actually a German word (sour+cabbage). They eat a lot of it. I used to be married to a German.
    thank you paleobird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast