Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiments with Raw Dairy page

Paleobird Guest

Experiments with Raw Dairy

Shop Now
    I have developed a mild lactose intolerance in recent years. I know I felt much better and unplugged my sinuses plus losing about five pounds of bloat when I cut it from my diet completely.

But I've been missing out on all those yummy things like cream in my tea. Then I started reading around here about raw dairy being well tolerated by many people who have lactose intolerance. The "intolerance" is really, so the theory goes, about the pasteurization and homogenization making milk products unrecognizable "non-foods" to your body.

So I decided to give it a try. Raw dairy is perfectly legal in California but not easy to find but I finally did. I am trying the butter, cream, and kefir to start with.

So far so good. 24 hours into the experiment and no adverse effects.
    Oh, and raw milk butter is orders of magnitude yummier than even Kerrygold.

Anybody else have an n=1 to add?

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Yep, hated milk for years, didn't like the taste, gave me gas, ick.

Got a connection for raw milk here and I love the stuff, I can actually drink it straight, it tastes good, no gas. Good stuff.

Paleobird Guest
    Although the butter and cream are both heavenly, I must say I am not too impressed with the kefir. It tastes OK but it is kind of lumpy like buttermilk.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I was sensitive to milk and my kids were completely intolerant. We found a local (three jersey cow) grass-fed farm that sells raw milk. Wow, is it good and the kids and I do great on it. In fact I feel it is a huge bonus in our diet. It has made my arthritis in my hands go away too, which is a great sign that it is acting ANTI- inflammatory in my body. I could live off of it exclusively I think, although if I don't eat other things it makes me cold. It makes me feel so great though that I regret having to eat other foods. When it's warm out I might just go 100% raw milk. Totally not paleo, but nothing in the world has made me feel better.

egger is offline Member
    Keep in mind that putting the cream in a hot drink essentially pasteurizes it. I'm sure it's still infinitely better than store pasteurized/homoginized, but if you are experimenting you should understand that you could have a different response (some don't considered it raw if heated...).

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I don't do raw exclusively, but I'm noticing that I do better the more natural dairy I use. I had coffee with regular cream the other day from my local coffee shop and had a little stomach pain. I don't get that when I make it at home with organic cream (I really like Strauss Creamery products).
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    I have had what I thought was raw dairy (goat) and have just as much problem as other dairy. Then again, I don't have a problem with cream, just with un- or under-cultured milk. Kudos to you for being able to find raw dairy in a state where it is supposedly legal.....

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by egger View Post
    Keep in mind that putting the cream in a hot drink essentially pasteurizes it. I'm sure it's still infinitely better than store pasteurized/homoginized, but if you are experimenting you should understand that you could have a different response (some don't considered it raw if heated...).
    Interesting. Do you happen to know at what temperature it would make a difference?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I was sensitive to milk and my kids were completely intolerant. We found a local (three jersey cow) grass-fed farm that sells raw milk. Wow, is it good and the kids and I do great on it. In fact I feel it is a huge bonus in our diet. It has made my arthritis in my hands go away too, which is a great sign that it is acting ANTI- inflammatory in my body. I could live off of it exclusively I think, although if I don't eat other things it makes me cold. It makes me feel so great though that I regret having to eat other foods. When it's warm out I might just go 100% raw milk. Totally not paleo, but nothing in the world has made me feel better.
    Wow. That's great. Piano Doctor Lady was just saying on another thread how she had given up dairy to try to make her arthritis better. Maybe she just needs the raw stuff.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
    I don't do raw exclusively, but I'm noticing that I do better the more natural dairy I use. I had coffee with regular cream the other day from my local coffee shop and had a little stomach pain. I don't get that when I make it at home with organic cream (I really like Strauss Creamery products).
    Hey, fellow San Diegan. I got my raw stuff at the People's Co-op in Ocean Beach. Henry's has raw milk but not the other stuff.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast