kenn is offline Senior Member

Is makeup primal?

Shop Now
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Weird. She looks like an anime creation.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I suspect that from time immemorial (is that a word?) that females did what they could to attract those males they felt they needed to help them continue the species. In a modern world sometimes that means enhancement with makeup.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fair-skinned blue-eyed blonde. Without makeup, I look like I'm dead (though less so since going Primal) and I'm afraid my fellow Groks will pull a Donner Party re-enactment on me, so I need to look alive at all times.

I'm wearing makeup, dammit.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Grok is offline Senior Member

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Paleobird Guest
    There is also a difference between enhancing what you have and creating a whole unrecognizable anime mask. I'm finding that I don't need as much makeup since going Primal, just a touch of eye makeup and lip gloss, I rarely ever use foundation anymore. Maybe Grokelle was just so naturally gorgeous that she never needed any makeup.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There is also a difference between enhancing what you have and creating a whole unrecognizable anime mask. I'm finding that I don't need as much makeup since going Primal, just a touch of eye makeup and lip gloss, I rarely ever use foundation anymore. Maybe Grokelle was just so naturally gorgeous that she never needed any makeup.
    you are the grokelle

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Do you mean primal or not in terms of the modern products available or because it has the potential to make you look very much unlike yourself? The modern products are definitely not primal but I don't care. I'm not getting rid of electricity or running water any time soon, either. I'm not joining the caveman SCA. As for whether it's natural and honest? I think wanting to be attractive is natural. Personally, I still want to generally look like myself, just in my best light. I don't use it as a mask but it softens some of my flaws and plays up my good points. My husband says he can't tell the difference. Maybe that's just a lovely, marriage-preserving lie.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with taping my eyes and wearing circle lenses like that girl. She doesn't even look like herself any more. Fine for a costume but in my daily life, I like to look like me only maybe a little more well-rested. I don't regard little cosmetic enhancements as particularly more disingenuous than choosing flattering clothes or styling my hair. To put it in guy terms, most don't go in for makeup (though I did see one of my exes sneaking my concealer when he had blemishes) but I know plenty of guys who dress to hide a little tum or spend extra money on a flattering haircut. Even a couple that wear boots for that extra few inches of height or that never take off their hats because they don't want folks to see they have a bald spot. And pretty much all men cut a better figure in a suit. Why? Shoulder pads. The standard socially-imposed male uniform contains aspects designed to make them look stronger and slimmer in the waist than they actually are. It's all a matter of degrees and our own individual comfort levels.

And speaking of the concept of a uniform, there are social norms to consider. I will get treated better if I conform to social norms in appearance and, for women, makeup is part of the expectation just like not wearing it is part of the expectation for men. Fair? No. But I still would never walk into a job interview without my face done. Part of it is attractiveness, but a less attractive woman will still be treated better in most circles (especially in business) if she conforms to the grooming standards. If you want to look back to our ancestors, they were also very socially driven. Look at all the unnatural body modifications that have become expected in many social groups throughout history. Lipstick is mild by comparison. Is it a primal instinct to want to fit in to the group? I think it is. For most of our existence that meant survival.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I used to use make-up to hide. I was your emo teenager with thick black eye-liner, properly messy from days of not washing it off (none of that perfectly lined crap you see now). I didn't know what "emo" was then, but I did kind of accidentally embody it with the make-up (and the depression) at least. I took a few years off from wearing anything and learned to recognize my face. Then I started to introduce minimal eye make-up on occasion, especially under my eyes to deal with the circles.

But now, even when I'm tired, I feel like I look mostly okay. I look healthy and that's what's important to me. I know what my face looks like.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast