Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fruit. Evil, evil fruit. page 9

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Surpass that level long enough and you're giving your gut flora a bounty to multiply from, leading to GI issues.
    Sweet, so if I eat 50g sugars from fruits along with my kraut, the amount of bacteria I just consumed exponentially increases?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Show me a study where fruit consumption caused disastrous metabolic damage. Not sucrose, not HFCS, not agave, but real fruit.

It's the assumption in primal/paleo circles that Mother Nature isn't stupid, and human begins should best stick to a traditional human diet. Fruit depends on consumption by animals to survive - the seeds are eaten, excreted and the new plant grows where the seed was pooped out, complete with fertilizer. If fruit is not made attractive to be eaten and consumed, the species dies out. It seems to me that if 30% of the population can't tolerate fruit, that would make Mother Nature pretty stupid.
    I never said anything about disastrous metabolic damage, but rather malabsorption, which would actually be somewhat protective, as not as much hits the bloodstream. It could well be an adaption to keep us from getting too much. But if you can't absorb it then it goes on into the gut where it is fermented by bacteria. This is a different set of problems. There's the classic gut reaction, diarrhea/constipation/gas/pain and then it's also been linked to depression, anxiety, aches, fatigue and so on. And if you'll look at what I actually wrote you would see that the levels that a person can absorb vary, some being able to handle more than others. And women tend to be more susceptible than men, so you personally have that advantage. As for the intelligence of mother nature, I don't disagree. But up until recently most populations didn't have access to the levels of fructose now available to most. Not just in the form of HFCS and other processed foods, but fruit wasn't a constant. Even when it was available it was doubtful that there was enough for everyone to eat 4-5 pieces of fruit daily for months at a time. Gorging on fruit for a day or two then leveling out your consumption (which is a more likely scenario than gorging every day all year long) isn't likely to result in serious issues. Following are some links that go further into detail about what I' saying. And yes, in a research setting people were ingesting fructose in a liquid form, as it's much more efficient and one can control how much fructose a person actually ingests. But for those with FM eating an apple will have the same effect as downing a HFCS sweetened drink.

https://sites.google.com/site/fructmal/research

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Sweet, so if I eat 50g sugars from fruits along with my kraut, the amount of bacteria I just consumed exponentially increases?
    No, that's not how it works. The kraut is feeding the bacteria that's on it if it's fermented. IIRC, there are estimated to be 500-ish species in the human gut, although not always in the same gut. Sugars that reach the gut will feed bacteria that like those sugars. The problem is that it feeds the good as well as the bad. And it depends on the type of sugar, as some are more readily absorbed while others are more likely to end up in the gut.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    No, that's not how it works. The kraut is feeding the bacteria that's on it if it's fermented. IIRC, there are estimated to be 500-ish species in the human gut, although not always in the same gut. Sugars that reach the gut will feed bacteria that like those sugars. The problem is that it feeds the good as well as the bad. And it depends on the type of sugar, as some are more readily absorbed while others are more likely to end up in the gut.
    Ah, makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This was an entire year ago. You're way off. I did this to cut down for a Halloween costume in 2011.
    Ah, to be young and not married. I think I remember actually caring what I looked like going to a costume party to get ripped and hopefully laid. Not much concern now as I piddle behind my kids when we walk around the block

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After hiking the Pacific Crest Trail I attempted to keep up my weight loss eating all the grapefruit, mangoes and peaches I wanted. I'd have peaches or mangoes and plain yogurt for breakfast. I'd have a plate of cut up grapefruits for lunch, no sugar. I'd eat a regular dinner with my partner. The weight FLEW on me. I could see daily I was getting fatter and fatter. I tried to exercise at the same time but the hunger would get way out of proportion if I did anything strenuous, so I stuck to light activity (3 miles of walking a day maybe) and fruit and failed miserably.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789