Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fruit. Evil, evil fruit. page 8

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    And you wonder why you were getting chunky?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    All of the above. A person with FM can't eat whole fruit that is high in fructose. Interestingly enough, the highly refined sugars, as in sucrose, are easier for people with FM to handle, as the glucose binds to the fructose which then transports it across the lumen. HFCS sweetened drinks are certainly more of an issue, as they contain higher concentrations of fructose, but even whole fruits are an issue to someone with FM, as once it's chewed and liquified in the stomach it's fairly easily wrung out of what hits the small intestine. And it's quite possible to be able to handle larger loads of fructose for a while, without any obvious symptoms, but everyone is limited on some level. Surpass that level long enough and you're giving your gut flora a bounty to multiply from, leading to GI issues.
    Show me a study where fruit consumption caused disastrous metabolic damage. Not sucrose, not HFCS, not agave, but real fruit.

It's the assumption in primal/paleo circles that Mother Nature isn't stupid, and human begins should best stick to a traditional human diet. Fruit depends on consumption by animals to survive - the seeds are eaten, excreted and the new plant grows where the seed was pooped out, complete with fertilizer. If fruit is not made attractive to be eaten and consumed, the species dies out. It seems to me that if 30% of the population can't tolerate fruit, that would make Mother Nature pretty stupid.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And you wonder why you were getting chunky?
    Eating that made me skinnier than I ever was. I was 132 lbs eating that. I haven't had a cake or pie in 9 months and I'm now 147 lbs. Avoiding dietary fat and eating nothing but cake, egg whites and yogurt made me ridiculously skinny.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Eating that made me skinnier than I ever was. I was 132 lbs eating that. I haven't had a cake or pie in 9 months and I'm now 147 lbs. Avoiding dietary fat and eating nothing but cake, egg whites and yogurt made me ridiculously skinny.
    I know nothing about cake, but isn't cake full of fat as well?
    Billie trips balls

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    It doesn't have to be if you make it yourself. A few years ago I was really good at making whole grain fat free baked goods. There are lots of ways to sub out butter and oil.

ETA:
    But Chaco, you must have made your cheesecakes with fat-free dairy? Did that still work even with the higher water content? Oh and were there no yolks?? Sorry, I know I probably read a recipe back when you were posting them, but now I don't remember.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    It doesn't have to be if you make it yourself. A few years ago I was really good at making whole grain fat free baked goods. There are lots of ways to sub out butter and oil.
    Doesn't that like taste like carton?
    Billie trips balls

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Dude, I cant keep up with you lol. I think you would be best off sticking to one thing for at least 3 months. Seems like you got a new crusade or tweak every other week. I read your journal from like May and saw you were changing things then and going to stick with it for like 12 weeks.....seems like you ditched that early and started something new. These sort of changes really take a longer trial period than 2-4 weeks to see results.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Well it's definitely not quite the same : )

*and I meant *Choco* up there, whoops

No. All butter/oil was substituted for a mixture of applesauce/fat free Greek yogurt. Occasionally I used canned pumpkin puree as well. I didn't even grease my baking pans - I used olive oil cooking spray.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    But Chaco, you must have made your cheesecakes with fat-free dairy? Did that still work even with the higher water content? Oh and were there no yolks?? Sorry, I know I probably read a recipe back when you were posting them, but now I don't remember.
    I used 1% cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, then put it in a blender with egg whites and pureed until smooth. It came out surprisingly similar to cream cheese. I did try a bar of fat free cream cheese but it tasted so processed and God awful I never did that again.
    You'd be surprised. Some stuff wasn't great - brownies without fat were dry and lousy. However, pumpkin pie, cornbread and pumpkin bread were all delicious without any fat. I could make you a fat free banana bread that's just as good as a traditional banana bread full of butter. None of the stuff had wheat flour, though. I used white rice and tapioca flour for everything. Believe it or not, pretty much all those desserts were loosely primal if you're okay with dairy and rice flour.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Dude, I cant keep up with you lol. I think you would be best off sticking to one thing for at least 3 months. Seems like you got a new crusade or tweak every other week. I read your journal from like May and saw you were changing things then and going to stick with it for like 12 weeks.....seems like you ditched that early and started something new. These sort of changes really take a longer trial period than 2-4 weeks to see results.
    This was an entire year ago. You're way off. I did this to cut down for a Halloween costume in 2011.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast