Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: steroids and prohormones page

stevehtcyl is offline Member

I know I can't really get any further away from PB on this topic so I'm going to have to choose my words carefully.

I'm currently educating myself on the use of steroids and more specifically prohormones. *I don't intend to try them* but I do want to get past the flawed and ultimately useless concept that they are unfair. I feel asking about them on body building forums etc. is only going to give me pretty biased info from either the meatheads or those who like to talk the talk but not walk the talk, but perhaps I am wrong there and lack proper judgement.

Therefore I would like to ask _specifically_ if anyone here has had personal experience with prohormones, and if they could let me know about it. What was it like? Did you feel like a "cheat"? Would you recommend it? What side effects (if any) did you experience? How much research did you do before taking them? And also any other info you feel may be of interest would be highly appreciated.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

I'll make a short comment saying that feeling like a "cheat" won't happen for some people. Once you stop caring what other people think of you, whether that be the reasoning behind you wanting to take hormones, or the feeling of being a "cheat" because you took a supplement, it really doesn't matter.

For instance, some people will *never* be happy in their lives until they achieve a six pack. While there may be underlying reasons for that, some of these people try EVERYTHING and it just does not happen; so they're not happy. Well in that case you know what, take your hormones. I'd rather have a lot of life in my years then years in my life. BTW I don't take them, but I completely understand why someone would because I've worked with people like that.

Yes they are harmful, most peolpe know that. Just like I think triathlons are harmful too. But I will never take away a client or someone's passion. I will try my best and educate the person to all the risks, and the possibilities, but never take away their passion. If your following every principle to the T, and your going to smoke once in a while, take hormones, take aerobic classes, whatever it may be, that's your choice and your right.

So this was supposed to be short, guess not, underlying message, if your going to engage in a vice or anything of the like, make sure you understand what and who you are doing it to.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

@ASnutrition

> Yes they are harmful, most peolpe know that

This is why I asked for _personal_ experiences. In the minimal research I have done it is clear to me that that statement is far from the truth.

Most people THINK they know they are harmful, but that's just CW as portrayed by the media and the government, in truth there is way more going on. Steroids have had a wide range of uses in medicine since somewhere around the 30's, if they were really that harmful they wouldn't be used.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), only three deaths per year are attributed to steroid abuse, whereas annual deaths from tobacco and alcohol are 435,000, and 75,000 respectively, and steroids-related emergencies ranked 142 on the list of reasons for emergency room visits, behind even multivitamin overdosing.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

I don't really need studies to tell me whether something is safe or not (no insult to you). I very well know that hormones and steroids are important to some people's health because of what they have done to their body, and what others have done to their body. But I thought we were talking about hormones from a supplemental view, for a healthy person... because those are two totally different discussions...

When you take something from your body, that your body makes, or even that nature makes, and ISOLATE it, and then put it in your body, the outcome is usually negative. I mean to think that your body is not enough, is harmful on its own. The body is perfectly designed to make these hormones, and if your low on certain hormones, it's for good reason. Ie pregnenolone steal, ect... So yes hormones are harmful for some, and more helpful than harmful to others.

BTW you asked for personal experience, from the people I have dealt with, this is the experience. You know my opinion already, hope a little bit of the info makes sense and helps.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

righetti Guest

@steve

I used a popular prohormone about four years ago(19 at the time). I didn't know at first what i was getting into but i followed the directions on the bottle for four weeks. I blew up; gained 15 pounds of muscle and leaned out. Mood was great, motivation was through the roof, recovery was quick, appetite was high, and overall energy was through the roof. Side effects were back-acne, testicle atrophy, stretch marks, accelerated balding, muscle cramps. Everything returns to normal once you stop except the hair lost. There may have also been some depression once i stopped but thats hard to tell because of a break-up a month prior. They are also very addictive IMO.

It was pretty scary once i found out what i was taking. I was far too young and uneducated on them. Didn't have a proper PCT or anything but luckily i didn't experience any gyno. Since taking them i've remained muscular. Everyone responds differently to them. It was the only time i've taken them and would not do them again.

Thanks

Out of interest which one did you take?

Kristjan Guest

I don't think you've come to the right place to look for personal experiences on steroids.

Personally I think that the risks are probably overrated, and there is a difference between use and abuse.

I definitely wouldn't recommend taking prohormones or steroids for anyone and I'm against using them to gain an unfair advantage in sports.

That being said,

I have a very close friend that took a 4 week cycle of dianabol, he gained 13 pounds of water/muscle weight in that time and set numerous PRs in every exercise. Max bench went from 100kg to 125kg.

Side effects were: a slight increase in acne, some incomfortable feeling in the chest. He would get insane pumps in the gym sometimes, sometimes having to stop in the middle of an arm exercise because the pump in the forearm would get too painful. He would not be able to jog because of the pump in the tibialis anterior. No testicular atrophy or gyno.

Dosage was first 40mg, then 80mg, per day, then stopped cold turkey. Strength gains and mass gains quickly diminished.

righetti Guest

methyl-drol xt

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

From what I've heard legal "steroids" (i.e., prohormones) are more dangerous than straight-up anabolic steroids. I know A LOT of people who've used anabolics and, just like anything else, if used responsibly you'll probably be pleased with the results. Just make sure you have your PCT (post cycle therapy - clomid, etc.) on hand at all times - even many legal prohormones require PCT, though they won't recommend it on their labels.

I'm only 28 years old and I make GREAT gains naturally so I've never been all that interested in doing them myself, but when I'm in my mid-40's I'm gonna be the first one in line at my Dr's office asking for HRT and/or HGH - that sh!t will keep you young (along with paleo of course)!

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast