Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cardio then, if jogging is bad for you? page

cas5nq Guest

I began a jogging frenzy, then through google I found this article, "A Case Against Cardio": http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

For those haven't read it, the summary is:

1) Long-duration, low-intensity activity(e.g. walking or hiking

2) Short-duration, high intensity sprints

So if I walk around a lot every day, and then 3 days a week I perform a sprinting workout... am I really getting any "cardio"? Cardio meaning cardiovascular training: making the hearth healthier, lowering my resting heart rate, increasing my VO2 max... all that good stuff.

Right now my resting heart rate is about 70-80. I get winded from a brisk walk. My heart rate spikes uncomfortably after a heavy weight-lifting set, so much that its lengthening my rest between sets moreso than if I was just waiting on muscle recovery. I would really love to strengthen my heart, but does simple walking and sprinting accomplish this goal? I had always been under the impression that traditional cardio: a 20-30 minute run at 70-85% MHR, was necessary to train the heart. Then I come on this website and find out that's bad for me.

gazb is offline Junior Member

Anaerobic exercise like sprinting and weightlifting trains the heart too, both during and after. It leaves behind metabolic byproducts like lactic acid, which the aerobic cycle then needs to "clean up". So recovery from anaerobic exercise is actually one of the best forms of aerobic exercise . I'd recommend reading Body by Science, it covers all this stuff in detail in the first couple of chapters.

Vick is offline Senior Member

"I had always been under the impression that traditional cardio: a 20-30 minute run at 70-85% MHR, was necessary to train the heart. Then I come on this website and find out that's bad for me."

The difference here is lots of good people that back up their opinions with references.

Gazb mentioned Body by Science. Here is a 5 minute video by the author of Body by Science covering "cardio"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHhc7eLpQY

GadgetBoy Guest

I am training for this year's marathon and just began PB. I am concerned about my carb intake (or lack thereof) now and how it may affect me.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

@ GadgetBoy -- Loren Cordain's book The Paleo Diet for Athletes might be helpful for you. It's designed to mesh paleo eating (slightly modified) with the needs of an endurance athlete.

@ the OP -- I saw my distance work (just occasional 6 milers, nothing serious) benefit tremendously from the addition of sprint work. My distance runs became fewer in number and better in quality, with no running in between except for sprints. It works.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Geoff is offline Member

Jogging isn't necessarily bad. What's bad is long duration steady state activity above the "move slowly" zone. Generally speaking as long as you are under 75% of your max heart rate it doesn't matter what mode of movement you choose. At that intensity you aren't burning loads of glycogen. Fat still meets the majority of your energy needs. The caveat is that there aren't great incremental benefits to be realized by moving at 75% of you max HR as opposed to say 55-60%, and jogging does place comparably greater mechanical stress on your body than walking (even if you have perfect running form). So there may be no need for you to jog, but that doesn't have to mean that you shouldn't jog. Me, I can amble along at a relatively slow jogging pace and still stay under 75% of my Max HR, but I actually find my jogging most restorative and relaxing when I am at about 65-70% of my max HR. That's a really slow jog for me, but it is pleasant and energizes me.

IMO Cordain's book can be helpful if yo. Are he'll bent on running a marathon, but it is a DEEP compromise. He recommends far more carbs than a typical PBer would consume (since he's writing about long endurance events) and his timing system for consuming those carbs might offset some of the worst aspects of carb consumption. Still, Mark had a blog post a while back about Primal living for endurance athletes (and he'd know). You should take a look at that because his advice - and warnings - were quite good. Easy for me to say since I am finally putting my marathoni g on the shelf. Best of luck with your training. I will be curious to hear how Primal marathoning works for you.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

If you are doing high intensity sprints, conditioning drills (like burpees, hitting a heavy bag, etc) and intense strength training... you're heart will be racing and you will be working "cardio".

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I recall an illustrative story, don't recall if here or elsewhere. Paraphrasing, guy in college was doing short, high intensity workouts while the other guys were all running long distances. Time came for "the big race", don't recall how long it was, and "Guy" came in second place. No one could believe that he didn't use running for training for running.

I'm back on the old mountain bike, we've done 12,000 feet back in CO. A great irony for FL flat land, dip the tire into the water riding. I'm up to 17 miles and I have to climb a long high bridge to the islands and back. Last spring I had to walk the bike over, now I can climb at 7mph. Not Olympic material, but I sure feel better.

Not sure what this has to do with OP, but I just wanted to brag, I guess!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I have a story similar to OTB's. I don't run, but I kept up with the main pack on a 5-mile mountain run that took an hour, with a group of people who regularly run and train for marathons.

Every Sunday I do 100 pull-up burpees. 10 sets of 10 with a 45 second break in between. Get right on that and tell me it won't get you in shape!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

100 pullup burpees... awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast