Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: what is best martial art for bar fights? page

dado Guest

what is best martial art for bar fights?

Primal Fuel
    2011 was my year for strength, 2012 for fighting.

i'm looking for something that's direct, simple, and effective.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Krav maga. Except that you might get arrested. Really.

dado Guest
    amazing, thank you! i see clearly now that i have a future with this krav maga.

i feel right now the same way i felt when i first discovered primal and when i first discovered 'starting strength'.

The only time I ever walked out of there not thinking I was better prepared to defend myself- first class included- was when I partnered with the 4'10" instructor and got my ass handed to me. But she was kind of like a rabid Chihuahua and scared everybody. (awesome, just scary)

Keep in mind, though, that you're not learning holds and submissions. You are learning how to hurt people. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this isn't the best for bar fights. It's designed for life and death situations. I knew a guy who went from Krav to amature MMA- and had to unlearn about half of what he knew because it wasn't legal.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I know the answer to this one....clearly it's Drunken Boxing...ever see "The Legend of the Drunken Master" with Jackie Chan?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this isn't the best for bar fights. It's designed for life and death situations. I knew a guy who went from Krav to amature MMA- and had to unlearn about half of what he knew because it wasn't legal.
    A bar fight can easily become a life and death situation. There are no rules in a bar fight. Krav Maga is quick and brutal yet efficient. Keep a cool head and know when to stop thrashing someone and just get out.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I know the answer to this one....clearly it's Drunken Boxing...ever see "The Legend of the Drunken Master" with Jackie Chan?
    buabhhahhahaha no, i'll have to catch that one. but i do remember a drunken tiger move in tekken 3.

hey, i'll keep you guys posted in this thread. i expect my first bar fight in august 2012.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Overall I'd say the full contact sport disciplines would be the most effective to know -- wrestling, bjj, boxing, judo, etc -- simply because the techniques that don't work well quickly get weeded out in competition. There is no substitute for being able to practice moves against a fully resisting opponent, and your partner will never let you practice your favorite eye gouge or touch of death.

Definately look for an instructor who is polite, professional, open and sober-minded about their business and art. The nature of the subject tends to attract more woo than its fair share.

I'd be careful with BJJ and wrestling- or anything that encourages you to go to the ground. Bodies on the ground are really easy for any idiot to damage. If you're on your feet, it's easier to deal with multiple opponents. Because the guy you deck probably has friends and probably isn't looking to fight fair.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I'd be careful with BJJ and wrestling- or anything that encourages you to go to the ground. Bodies on the ground are really easy for any idiot to damage. If you're on your feet, it's easier to deal with multiple opponents. Because the guy you deck probably has friends and probably isn't looking to fight fair.
    If he has friends who'll kick you in the head when you're down on the ground you're pretty much done for anyway. The 3 against 1 or more bar fights that I've seen either end very badly for the guy singled out or he runs like the wind out of there.

Most bar fights start with shoving, followed by punches being thrown and if the fight is not broken up soon at that stage by either onlookers or bouncers it will go to the ground. If you have grappling experience your best bet is to finish the fight at the initial shoving stage by tossing your opponent hard to the ground and then hauling ass out of there while he recovers.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast