Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what is best martial art for bar fights? page 3

dado Guest
    rich dimitri recommendation noted, thank you.

i see this myself, or i see it ahead of time, what is this called, i forecast, that once i learn the skills necessary to cripple a fool, i will probably never get a chance to execute these skills; this is the beauty of life.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post
    I think I broke a rib with that guffaw!
    Archduke had it coming; long live the Balkan shit hole i came from; i would never trade it if given a chance.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    rich dimitri recommendation noted, thank you.

i see this myself, or i see it ahead of time, what is this called, i forecast, that once i learn the skills necessary to cripple a fool, i will probably never get a chance to execute these skills; this is the beauty of life.
    A wise man once said "it's better to have the tools and never need them, than it is to need the tools and not have them".
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    ]
    Aw.

And here I was hoping that learning to fight was going to make you insanely arrogant, and wildly over confident or something and you'd go and get yourself killed.

Do you want to die without any scars?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    ]
    Aw.

And here I was hoping that learning to fight was going to make you insanely arrogant, and wildly over confident or something and you'd go and get yourself killed.

Do you want to die without any scars?
    Don't worry DF, you can take the boy out of the Balkans, but you can't take the Balkans out of the boy =)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I'd add some weapons training and self-defense for the sake of self-defense type fighting. You're probably not going to be in an open area and they're probably armed so it's good to know when you're screwed =). My taekwondo school (go ahead and hate, haters) used to have a self defense club which was a combination of formal drills, chasing each other around with rubber knives/pellet guns, and guest instructors. One instructor worked for a prison so we covered firearms. One was a state trooper and 4-degree blackbelt who had these amazing release techniques. You could grab his arm with both hands, but he'd brush your wrist and your hands would let go even though you were prepared and knew he was going to escape. I wouldn't poo-poo ground fighting, either. You could be the best at stand & bang, but if you end up on the ground and don't know what you're doing, then lights out for you! Even if its just basic jujitsu or MMA-type stuff, if you knew a little defense and could pull off a quick arm-bar, that would end a lot of fights in a hurry.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Pfftt!

My new fighting technique is unbeatable.

I call it SHARKTOPUS!

Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    I'd add some weapons training and self-defense for the sake of self-defense type fighting. You're probably not going to be in an open area and they're probably armed so it's good to know when you're screwed =). My taekwondo school (go ahead and hate, haters) used to have a self defense club which was a combination of formal drills, chasing each other around with rubber knives/pellet guns, and guest instructors. One instructor worked for a prison so we covered firearms. One was a state trooper and 4-degree blackbelt who had these amazing release techniques. You could grab his arm with both hands, but he'd brush your wrist and your hands would let go even though you were prepared and knew he was going to escape. I wouldn't poo-poo ground fighting, either. You could be the best at stand & bang, but if you end up on the ground and don't know what you're doing, then lights out for you! Even if its just basic jujitsu or MMA-type stuff, if you knew a little defense and could pull off a quick arm-bar, that would end a lot of fights in a hurry.
    Yeah, I like Filipino martial arts for the knife/stick work. It translates well to anything from a broken bottle to a machete or baseball bat, as well as empty hands. I'm much more likely to face a thug with one of the above than a handgun, so makes much more sense for me to spend time learning to defend against those. Of course, YMMV

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Sobriety.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coincidentally I was looking to do the same thing a few months ago (street crime and muggings are on the rise here, like a lot of places) and have been attending Guided Chaos classes. The system is based around the fact that most brawls, fights, whatever are total chaos and generally over in 3-4 seconds. The style and theory make total sense to me - training from the get go to be totally flexible and not be tied to any rigid defence patterns as these aren't much use in the real world as attacks tend not to follow a prescribed pattern. After a couple of months, it's starting to come together a little so I am impressed. Clearly I am no expert in these matters but it's worth a look HOME - Survival Self-defense: Close Combat, ground, gun, tai chi fighting

Also I found Geoff Thompson's self defence book to be really good Amazon.com: Dead Or Alive: The Choice Is Yours: The Definitive Self-Protection Handbook (9780873649148): Geoff Thompson: Books

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast