Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 126

Thread: what is best martial art for bar fights? page 2

  1. #11
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,371
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    If he has friends who'll kick you in the head when you're down on the ground you're pretty much done for anyway. The 3 against 1 or more bar fights that I've seen either end very badly for the guy singled out or he runs like the wind out of there.

    Most bar fights start with shoving, followed by punches being thrown and if the fight is not broken up soon at that stage by either onlookers or bouncers it will go to the ground. If you have grappling experience your best bet is to finish the fight at the initial shoving stage by tossing your opponent hard to the ground and then hauling ass out of there while he recovers.
    It's easier to run if you're never off your feet

    You're right- bad odds are- bad. I'm not saying DON'T learn how to grapple- just that it shouldn't be your first instinct.

    They liked to tell us stories in class. One of them was a Krav instructor who was out one night with a friend who was I belive a professional BJJ fighter or something like that? Anyway, his style was "ground and pound." They got jumped and he took a guy to the ground as his skill set demanded while the Krav instructor stayed on his feet and dealt with the rest of them. By the time he got to his friend that went to the ground, they said his own girlfriend couldn't recognize him.

  2. #12
    Timothy's Avatar
    Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    714
    The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    Best block, no be there.

  3. #13
    Legbiter's Avatar
    Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    It's easier to run if you're never off your feet

    You're right- bad odds are- bad. I'm not saying DON'T learn how to grapple- just that it shouldn't be your first instinct.

    They liked to tell us stories in class. One of them was a Krav instructor who was out one night with a friend who was I belive a professional BJJ fighter or something like that? Anyway, his style was "ground and pound." They got jumped and he took a guy to the ground as his skill set demanded while the Krav instructor stayed on his feet and dealt with the rest of them. By the time he got to his friend that went to the ground, they said his own girlfriend couldn't recognize him.
    Krav Maga may very well be the most effective, overall, since it emphasizes killing that motherfucker with the bottle on the bar or kicking his testicles in and soccer-kicking them in the throat once they're down and running away the moment they stop moving. But unless Krav Maga training involves actually getting punched in the face (and I'm truly ignorant on that subject) I expect they'd react similarly to most purists when getting jabbed in the nose and give up after a takedown in short order.

  4. #14
    Legbiter's Avatar
    Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.
    This.

  5. #15
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    Krav Maga may very well be the most effective, overall, since it emphasizes killing that motherfucker with the bottle on the bar or kicking his testicles in and soccer-kicking them in the throat once they're down and running away the moment they stop moving. But unless Krav Maga training involves actually getting punched in the face (and I'm truly ignorant on that subject) I expect they'd react similarly to most purists when getting jabbed in the nose and give up after a takedown in short order.
    That is an awesome description of it.

    Part of the training is getting hit. Not deliberatly in the nose, but even in level one you're holding the pad that your partner is belting. They aren't so soft that you can't feel the hits. Beyond that, you're sparring. In safety gear- but you're also hitting each other as hard as you both agree is acceptable. It is about training you to take hits as much as give them, since you're right- getting hit throws most people for a loop.

    Of course, you guys are right that the best one is the one that keeps you out of the fights at all.

  6. #16
    dado's Avatar
    dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.
    Ya, but suppose you are on vacation visiting relatives in Sarajevo and you're there drinking with the locals and this big Bosnian wants to ruffle feathers, what then? When you're in the Balkans, you should have some skills about you, and this is what it comes down to.

  7. #17
    Timothy's Avatar
    Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Ya, but suppose you are on vacation visiting relatives in Sarajevo and you're there drinking with the locals and this big Bosnian wants to ruffle feathers, what then? When you're in the Balkans, you should have some skills about you, and this is what it comes down to.
    I'd be worried about winning the battle, but losing the war when the Bosnian's extended family came back for revenge. Seems like nobody ever gets the last word in a Balkan skirmish, especially when Bosnians get involved. Archduke Franz Ferdinand decided to spend a weekend in Sarajevo and just look what happened.

    But I do agree with the need for skills, because you never know. I study shaolin chuan fa.

  8. #18
    tplank's Avatar
    tplank is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Archduke Franz Ferdinand decided to spend a weekend in Sarajevo and just look what happened.
    I think I broke a rib with that guffaw!

  9. #19
    tplank's Avatar
    tplank is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    341
    Not being a martial artist myself, perhaps it is out of place for me to answer this question. That said, the answer to the OP seems blindingly obvious to me: Gun Fu.

  10. #20
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    The best martial art is one that keeps you out of bar fights.
    Great advice. I've found over the years that the more I've learned how easy it can be to inflict serious damage on another person, the less willing I am to allow myself to get into those situations.

    I recommend looking up Rich Dimitri and especially his books, which go into a lot of theory behind reading situations and de-escalating conflicts.
    But he backs it up with some serious knowledge what to do when it goes south, and more importantly when to act. Sometimes there's just no way to talk your way out and the best way to improve your survival rate is to go on the attack first.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •