Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: what is best martial art for bar fights? page 11

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by glockstr View Post
    Pick something that works best for you and practice practice practice. No matter what technique you choose there is always someone bigger better stronger shinier and faster. Two of the best pieces of advice I have been given is;
    The best gunfighters in the world know where the gunfight is going to be and aren't there.
    and
    I can run faster scared than you can mad.
    I like those last two points, there!

harambur is offline Member
    Any one care to guess how Bruce Lee or Jet Li would fare against these tough guys that teach street fighting? Great thread. Enjoyed it immensely.

Jet Li admits what he practices isn't street-applicable. Bruce talked about realism, but positioned his art like how most other arts address self-defense: unrealistically. Yes, JKD (student of six years) does prepare more realistically than most, but not enough. I suggest shivworks.com for some good reading material. Unfortunately, that website went through an overhaul, thus a lot of the written material is gone. But, there's enough to get something out of it.

I'm coming into this thread pretty late, so this has probably been mentioned but gone are the days of me and you fighting for whatever reason, now it's how many of my buddies are here and how many do you have. After high school, I seldom seen a one on one fight, but I have seen a guy's face punted like a football, a guy hitting a dude on the ground with a crow-hop like he was throwing one to home plate from left field, and a jaw wired shut from getting hit by something?...all by people not involved in the actual fight. Just a friend of one of the guys in the fight. So get into MMA fighting or something, you know, where there's rules and a ref. That's just my two pennies.

I read somewhere that Bruce Lee was constantly challenged to fight in Hong Kong once he was famous because they wanted to show they were better than him. Granted, I don't know the culture over there, so it might have been some sort of ritualized challenge and not a down and dirty brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Jet Li admits what he practices isn't street-applicable. Bruce talked about realism, but positioned his art like how most other arts address self-defense: unrealistically. Yes, JKD (student of six years) does prepare more realistically than most, but not enough. I suggest shivworks.com for some good reading material. Unfortunately, that website went through an overhaul, thus a lot of the written material is gone. But, there's enough to get something out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by harambur View Post
    I read somewhere that Bruce Lee was constantly challenged to fight in Hong Kong once he was famous because they wanted to show they were better than him. Granted, I don't know the culture over there, so it might have been some sort of ritualized challenge and not a down and dirty brawl.
    That's the thing: Bruce saw things from a dueling perspective, out of his experience in Hong Kong; and some in the U.S. But, he was as blunt as they come; and believed in a gun being a great equalizer. But, I think in some cases, this where it ends: they don't train with the gun, like people normally train martial arts. The dedication needs to be there, the only things different are the tools, considerations, and mechanics.

I think this video sums it up best.

http://youtu.be/T2u1GKJ3csE
    Last edited by harambur; 03-22-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: linked video.

Love that skit! The Martial Arts junkie in me thinks it's timeless .

johneeeveee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    2011 was my year for strength, 2012 for fighting.

i'm looking for something that's direct, simple, and effective.
    I highly recommend the "walk away" technique.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by johneeeveee View Post
    I highly recommend the "walk away" technique.
    You know, a lot of schools/gyms would lose business if they taught this very effective "art." Verbalization, and role-playing is non-existent in a lot of places.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast