Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cordain on Acid-Alkaline Balance: argument against zero carb? page 3

Tarlach is offline Member

Shop Now

It seems most studies come to the same conclusions:
    [quote]

CONCLUSION: All of the findings from this meta-analysis were contrary to the acid ash hypothesis. Higher phosphate intakes were associated with decreased urine calcium and increased calcium retention. This meta-analysis did not find evidence that phosphate intake contributes to demineralization of bone or to bone calcium excretion in the urine. Dietary advice that dairy products, meats, and grains are detrimental to bone health due to "acidic" phosphate content needs reassessment. There is no evidence that higher phosphate intakes are detrimental to bone health.
    </blockquote>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19754972

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Rozsa Guest

Anyone seen this? Sorry if someone&#39;s already posted the link

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...e-balance.html

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Thanks Rozsa, I hadn&#39;t seen that link before.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I guess Stephan&#39;s post puts the last nail in the coffin, thanks for the link Rozsa. And I second Pikaia on the vit D point, it&#39;s odd Cordain didn&#39;t make the connection. But then, and if I remember correctly, didn&#39;t he advocate a low saturated fat diet and the use of canola as well?

On a side note, I think we are creating a really cool information network here at MDA, promoting a multidisciplinary, evidence-based, analitical approach on nutrition. Great resource.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

JulieD Guest

Perhaps that&#39;s why many zero carbers experience severe leg cramps if they have a drop of salt? Some imbalance is present there, in my opinion, and I&#39;m just basing this on what I read over at ZIOH.

Tarlach is offline Member

Leg cramps are due to an electrolyte (sodium/potassium) imbalance. I get leg cramps if I have a big dose of salt.

Low potassium from no veggies means it is easy to overdose on salt.

Grok didn&#39;t add salt to food. We aren&#39;t built to handle lots of it.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Vick is offline Senior Member

Alkaline / acid balance was first discussed by Dr. Hay.

He published his diet in 1915.

The Hay system had 5 important rules.

1. Starches and sugars should not be eaten with proteins and acid fruits at the same meal.

2. Vegetables, salads and fruits should from the major part of the diet.

3. Protein, starches and fats should be eaten in small quantities.

4. Only whole grains and starches should be used, all refined processed foods should be taboo-in particular white flour and sugar and all foods made with them, and highly processed fats such as margarine.

5. An interval of four to four and half hours should should elapse between meals of different character.

Proteins require an acid medium for digestion. Our stomach produces hydrochloric acid to digest proteins.

Starches require an aklaine solution. This starts in our mouths with the action of ptaylin.

The short strokes is mixing our acid / alkaline foods mixes the digestive juices required to digest our foods... slowing it down... doing us a disservice... yada yada.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

grok salted food to preserve it, among other methods. so i don&#39;t buy the &#39;we can&#39;t eat a bit of salt&#39; thing.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Did he? Or was that a neolithic solution? Anyone know?

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I was just googling this yeasterday to get more information about it. All I found was 10 different sites claiming that acid foods where A, B & C and alkaline foods were D, E & F, and the next site was just the opposite.

I came to the conclusion that it&#39;s just a new form of CW because all the "most acidic" foods were meat, fat/oils, fish and eggs. "TO consume in moderation".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast