Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cordain on Acid-Alkaline Balance: argument against zero carb? page 2

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Raphael, I've read on several sites that the ash left when apple cider vinegar is boiled/burned is alkaline, and therefore ACV's effects on your body are also going to be alkaline. I have no idea whether that is accurate though.

However, I suspect any positive health benefits of drinking ACV have more to do with improving gut function than acid/base balance. On the Cooling Inflammation blog, Ayer speculates that vinegar may disrupt the integrity of harmful bacterial biofilms in the intestine.

Tarlach is offline Member

I still think the whole 'acid/alkaline balance' is a load of rubbish. The body self regulates acidity. As long as you are getting enough nutrients, it is a non issue.

* Sinner> put a space after a link in brackets, otherwise is messes the link up

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

I'm still skeptical about acid/base balance too. But saying it is rubbish because the body self-regulates isn't terribly compelling either.

The body self-regulates glucose too, and plenty of people have big problems with glucose. Same goes for thyroid status and blood pressure and weight and any number of other bodily functions.

Homeostasis keeps things running smoothly most of the time, but anyone can be pushed out of balance, by disease or by injury or by an unhealthy lifestyle or environment.

PrimalFocus is offline Member

I've been researching this as of late. Robb Wolf says in his podcast that you are "fine" if you keep 20-40% of calories from veggies. This is supposedly likely to yield a net alkaline diet. 20-40% veggies seems very difficult to accomplish to me.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Can you just supplement with baking soda?

And Pikaia, thanks for the info. I'll do some research and probably pick another bottle of ACV, I actually love the taste.

And Tarlach, it's not rubbish just because you don't like veggies.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Raphael, some people do use baking soda. But I worry that it would be much easier to overdose on baking soda than ACV.

From the wikipedia entry on sodium bicarbonate:

"Adverse reactions to the administration of sodium bicarbonate can include metabolic alkalosis, edema due to sodium overload, congestive heart failure, hyperosmolar syndrome, hypervolemic hypernatremia, and hypertension due to increased sodium. In patients who consume a high calcium or dairy-rich diet, calcium supplements, or calcium-containing antacids such as calcium carbonate (e.g., Tums), the use of sodium bicarbonate can cause milk-alkali syndrome, which can result in metastatic calcification, kidney stones, and kidney failure."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

If you&#39;re generally healthy and stick with a few tablespoons (or less) of ACV per day, there doesn&#39;t seem to be any risk of screwing up blood chemistry.

Woah that&#39;s a lot of potential dangers! I asked because I heard it was a treatment for cancer. Thanks again for the info.

Osa007 Guest

Has no one done any research on these acid/alkaline theories? If it comes from WebMd or PubMed I bet you would. Or the &#39;adrenal fatigue&#39; bugaboo!

Head:rat&#39;s bootay.

Anyone can discover the truth - but, don&#39;t let that interfere with your &#39;beliefs&#39;.

It&#39;s bunk - plain, simple bunk.

Osa007 can you share your findings? Why is it BS?

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for being a voice of reason Osa007.

I don&#39;t disagree with the acid/base theory because I &#39;don&#39;t like veggies&#39;. I still eat some veggies, so I don&#39;t care one way or another.

I don&#39;t believe it, because it sounds like rubbish, it doesn&#39;t make biological sense and there is no proof that it makes any difference.

Here&#39;s one study I did find
    [quote]

In conclusion, this meta-analysis does not support the concept that the calciuria associated with higher NAE reflects a net loss of whole body calcium. There is no evidence from superior quality balance studies that increasing the diet acid load promotes skeletal bone mineral loss or osteoporosis. Changes of urine calcium do not accurately represent calcium balance. Promotion of the "alkaline diet" to prevent calcium loss is not justified.
    </blockquote>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19419322?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast