Thread: Just a little rant... page

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member

Just a little rant...

Primal Fuel
    Some things that go on on this forum kinda bug me... Not that I can really do anything about them but just let it go, but I still want to outline them. Thanks in advance for your time.

First, everyone saying "grass fed" or "organic" or "pasture raised" blah blah blah. Y'all do not need to specify that stuff. We can just assume that your steak if from a grass fed, pastured cow, you don't need to tell us this. It just comes off as high and mighty. IMO of course...

Second, people asking the forum medical questions when they should see a doctor. If you're worried that he will tell you not to eat a paleo diet, or prescribe you medications you don't need/want, kindly tell him to go fuck himself, and ask for other options that fit your lifestyle. If he doesn't have any other options, look for a new provider. People are asking questions that go beyond "eat more carbs" or "get more sunlight" or "take fish oil"...

Third, constant bitching about conventional wisdom. We get it, people make bad choices based on bad information. Soon enough, it's just the same stupid jokes said over and over again. God, this happens at every damn forum too. This lifestyle is supposed to reconnect people to the environment, themselves, and each other, not create elitist bullshit.

Last? The whole WWGD (what would grok do) mentality. This is just the same as "conventional wisdom" when you get down to it.

Thanks for listening.

/rant
    Last edited by joelwlcx; 11-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    FWIW...

I'm having wild boar for breakfast.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    I'm having uncured locally raised organic bacon and cage-free organic Maine raised brown-shelled eggs fried in organic hand-churned butter. Then I'm going to go for a walk in my pink VFFs in the clean fresh mountain air.

Does anyone have advice on what I should do about this patch of dry skin I have on my shoulder? Would fish oil or more sunlight help?
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Sorry, I don't eat grass fed. Too Expensive. I would bet that a large percentage of us here don't. Still, I don't know if it is always necessary to say so. Maybe on the nutrition forum.

I agree with your other three points.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    someone's jealous

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think people say grass-fed because when someone asks for advice and they list their diet then others will go "there's your problem, you aren't eating grass-fed!" So you have to say all that stuff to get the advice you want.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with what you are saying. Please tell us, if you know, how to find a decent healthcare provider, especially if you are limited to an HMO. What do you do, phone them up and interview them?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    I'm having uncured locally raised organic bacon and cage-free organic Maine raised brown-shelled eggs fried in organic hand-churned butter. Then I'm going to go for a walk in my pink VFFs in the clean fresh mountain air.

Does anyone have advice on what I should do about this patch of dry skin I have on my shoulder? Would fish oil or more sunlight help?
    NO! You have to do the LEPTIN RESET or the patch of dry skin will cover your entire body and you will die!

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    Zomg!!! You are so not doing it right. No coconut oil at all! Without those MCTs how can you possibly sustain yourself!? And that's totally the cause of your rash too!
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Paleobird Guest
    Hehehehe...some good replies

But to answer Joel's rant seriously:
    1) There is still a vibrant debate around here about if the whole grass fed, organic "thing" makes all that much difference. That is why people specify "Grass Fed", just for clarity, not to sound "high and mighty".

2)I couldn't agree more about the internet diagnosis thing. The best piece of advice most of us can give people is to get the frack out from behind the computer and go see a real doctor.

3) Some people have CW shoved down their throats constantly by family, co-workers, employer health plans, etc. They need to vent. That is not being "elitist" just being frustrated.

4) And the whole WWGD mentality is mostly a joke around here. Primal-re-enactment is pointless and silly. Even Mark says so.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    +1 to everything Paleobird said.

I can't afford grass-fed anything, so I specify because I take Omega-3 supplements (and in case anyway asks, now they know why)!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).