Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot food vs cold food page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    In the recesses of my mind, there is a small file that remembers something to the effect that if you eat piping hot foods / drinks, you will kill (or at least, desensitize) your taste buds. I have never researched that, though.

Huh. That is interesting, that you have this feeling with almost all foods across the board. If it is a matter of cooking vs. not cooking at all, I think it takes both methods to feed a human well. I wouldn't want to be a slave to either practice (always cooking everything or never cooking anything).

I am just a little confused, though, about your original post. Do you mean to discuss raw foodism vs cooking, or just the fact that your body seems to prefer the eating temp of your cooked foods to be cooler?

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    cold gelatin from italian roast beef is mighty tasty tho

when my stomach feels better i should make a pot full. and eat it cold. to test it out.

for science!
    Italian roast beef? By that do you mean that the beef is from italy, or that it's a recipe for roast beef using Italian flavours? If its the latter I'd be interested in knowing more...

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i shall go find the church lady cookbook for you, to share in this culinary delight

and i have returned, the ingredients are as follows

bottom or butt beef roast
    2 tbsp oil to brown it in
    3 tbsp italian seasoning
    2 cubes beef boullion (if you don't mind msg, or you can just cook down some home made beef broth)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    salt & pepper

brown beef on both sides in oil. place in crock pot and cover with water. add all other ingredients and cook according to crock pot directions (approximately 4-6 hours on high) or until meat is tender and pulls apart with a fork.

alternate;y this can (and i have) be cooked on a stove, lid covering the pot or pan, on medium-high to simmer for several hours until tender, then removing the lid to cook some more til the water evaporates some

super duper good times
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

mindo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post

I am just a little confused, though, about your original post. Do you mean to discuss raw foodism vs cooking, or just the fact that your body seems to prefer the eating temp of your cooked foods to be cooler?

I was referring to just temperature of food and not nutrition or anything. I may have confused some people when I mentioned "cooking" but in my mind at that time I was thinking the only way for food to be hot is through cooking.

This thread was started quite a while ago but I still feel that eating food at a cold or room temperature degree feels better than eating it hot, cooked or not. It feels even worse when the type of food contains a lot of oil like pizza or fried chicken.

I know lots of people here say cooking food makes it more nutritious and possibly it does but there's got to be some drawbacks in terms of health even if it's minor. Isn't that always the rule? If you make something taste better it somehow becomes less healthy? I feel that we were suppose to eat food as nature intended us to and cooking wasn't really part of the original plan.

This is what I believe but I don't follow it. I cook everything cause it tastes better and we pretty much have to these days unless you go out and kill your own meat.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindo View Post
    I know lots of people here say cooking food makes it more nutritious and possibly it does but there's got to be some drawbacks in terms of health even if it's minor. Isn't that always the rule? If you make something taste better it somehow becomes less healthy? I feel that we were suppose to eat food as nature intended us to and cooking wasn't really part of the original plan.
    This is kinda superstitious thinking IMO. Nature doesn't "intend" anything--it just follows the laws of physics. There is no "original plan" (OK, if you are religious/theist maybe you believe there is one, but it still doesn't follow that cooking wasn't part of it). Humans have been eating cooked food for many hundreds of thousands of years, longer than our particular species has existed--more than plenty of time to have evolved to the point where our guts expect to be fed mostly cooked food that has been pre-processed with cutting or crushing tools. Our physiology even reflects this--we have tiny little puny jaws/teeth that can't chew anything very tough or fibrous, and our throats can't handle large chunks of unchewed food, either.

There is no "rule" of life that says cooking, flavoring or seasoning your food makes it less healthy. If anything it kills pathogens and parasites that might otherwise kill us.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

mindo is offline Member
    No one can prove that our guts have evolved to expect cooked foods. That would be even way more difficult to prove than how long humans have been around and cooking food. We do have weak jaws and teeth but they're good enough for human foods like fruits, vegetables and meat.

Cooking has been around for a long ass time and to us we think it's such a simple invention. We have stoves, gas and lighters. Can you imagine trying to build a fire with sticks or stones everyday? I don't know, can't be that easy. Being able to discover how to do that in the first place must have been mind blowing.

I'm not religious at all and I'm not a believer of the theory of evolution either but I believe nature's intention was for us to eat without cooking. I'm not saying cooking is evil or anything but probably not nature's intention. Honestly, no one can prove when or what happened thousands of years ago unless if you were there. There's all these experts and all but they can't say for sure. It's all theory. We can't even say for sure if Jesus existed 2000 years ago but we can say for sure what happened 10,000 or 100,000 years ago?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindo View Post
    No one can prove that our guts have evolved to expect cooked foods. That would be even way more difficult to prove than how long humans have been around and cooking food.
    Depends on your definition of "prove." We can't prove gravity, but I'm confidently walking out my front door tomorrow without my tether.

Quote Originally Posted by mindo
    I'm not religious at all and I'm not a believer of the theory of evolution either but I believe nature's intention was for us to eat without cooking.
    You've already been informed by those better versed in the science than yourself that nature doesn't have intentions. Why ask a question and then argue with the responses? Are you curious or pushing an agenda? This makes it seem like the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by mindo
    I'm not saying cooking is evil or anything but probably not nature's intention. Honestly, no one can prove when or what happened thousands of years ago unless if you were there. There's all these experts and all but they can't say for sure. It's all theory. We can't even say for sure if Jesus existed 2000 years ago but we can say for sure what happened 10,000 or 100,000 years ago?
    You're confused about the various uses of the word theory. See my gravity example above. Take 2 Richard Dawkins books and call us in the morning.

mindo is offline Member
    Most people on this forum are just bias towards anything caveman. This whole forum is all about not doing ab exercises and eating bacon cause Mark Sisson says it's ok. Yet there's so many people here who trouble getting visible abs. It's almost like a cult cause people refuse to believe anything that goes against the primal blueprint and will follow anything Mark Sisson preaches. If you want to say I can't prove gravity exist then whatever cause I guess I can't but it's definitely part of my everyday reality and everybody elses. How a caveman or person lived thousands of years ago is a different thing. They could have been eating each other for all we know. We didn't exist in that world and no one we know did either. If you want to get all scientific about words and dissect everything I say then you're just trying to complicating things to make me appear less credible. My theory is just my opinion and it's a very simple one but I think it makes some sense. It can't be any more crazy than thinking humans were once some kind of ape or monkey.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    i like my beef cold, the fat hardens.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    In all seriousness, why not try not cooking your Primal food and see how it goes? Have you done an experiment like that?

I don't really think that most folks here who have been Primal for a while are cultish, though - just everywhere you can read posts about how more experienced Primals tweak it for various ailments and goals and concerns and personal taste and stuff. I know I still have my will and wits about me, even though I stay close to the plan as written.

Anyway, I have thought about the cooking/not cooking thing, too. I am the owner of a whole stack of raw "cookbooks", and the produce recipes are yummy. I use them as inspiration for sides and stuff. And sometimes we eat sashimi and raw beef, too - most of this family likes it. Why not try it and post your results?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12