Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problems with boredom ??? page

MMMM FAT is offline Senior Member

problems with boredom ???

Primal Fuel
    I am not sure if you call this boredom, but throughout my life I have always became very interested in things and started learning them very quickly to only push it aside and lose my interest in the hobby.
    For example, 3 weeks ago I became very interested in trading options, so I bought 3 books on them and read through 1 book, started the 2 others, opened a virtual trading account, and just kept active with the market day to day. Then all of a sudden I have no interest in it anymore. Nothing happened for me to lose interest, it just happened out of nowhere. This applies to my guitar as well, only difference being that I will play guitar for a few months then put away for a year. Then I will start playing again. It is almost as I just drift through life

Take my job as an engineer, when I start a project I can start strong but then I just get the job done(no passion behind it anymore).

My goal is to find something that can keep my interest. It doesn't have to necessarily be something, but rather make my mind stay interested all the way through.

Anyone else have this ? I am considering seeing a psychologist on this, but the last time I went I didn't get anything out of it. Funny thing is the only time I went was to "optimize my thinking and remain energetic throughout the day". Psychologist said " Not possible". 2 years later I discovered Paleo

I thought at one point all of this was fear of failure, but I never have thoughts of "I will never be good at this, etc" ?
    Last edited by MMMM FAT; 11-10-2011 at 06:30 PM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i know a few people who have this problem--a couple to an extreme amount. i have certainly dealt with it too, though not as much. usually, if i find something i think i'll be interested in, i try to find a way to just try it out since i don't really know if i'm going to stick with it. the internet really comes in handy here; it provides the opportunity to learn about a subject without pouring a whole lot of money into it. it took some practice and discipline, but i've gotten really good at finding an interest, learning about it, and waiting at least a week or two before i spend anything on it. it doesn't really do a whole lot for spontaneity, but it helps. i could easily pick up a new hobby every week--which i don't necessarily consider a bad thing--and this helps keep things in check a bit.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I have read that this is an "A" type personality. Perhaps people like this are just too intelligent, thus get bored quickly?
    There is a Chinese saying.. "in intellectual has no craft" I can totally relate to this.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same exact way. One week I'm listening to one style of music and reading about one subject, the next week could be completely different.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

AnnCap is offline Junior Member
    I am like this to a certain extent, but my boyfriend is a bit extreme.
    Totally out of the blue he will decide to start a new project, research the hell out of it, start it, then lose interest completely.

He is particularly bad about novels. He will get an idea for a novel, write it down, discuss it with me, start character sketches etc. Then I never hear about it again.

I am not sure if anyone use to watch Malcolm in the Middle, but he reminds me of Hal. He gets really excited about something, and after about a week never thinks about it again. Its a bit of a joke in our house.

There is nothing wrong with you. Don't waste money getting treatment for something that is normal.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnCap View Post
    I am like this to a certain extent, but my boyfriend is a bit extreme.
    Totally out of the blue he will decide to start a new project, research the hell out of it, start it, then lose interest completely.

He is particularly bad about novels. He will get an idea for a novel, write it down, discuss it with me, start character sketches etc. Then I never hear about it again.

I am not sure if anyone use to watch Malcolm in the Middle, but he reminds me of Hal. He gets really excited about something, and after about a week never thinks about it again. Its a bit of a joke in our house.

There is nothing wrong with you. Don't waste money getting treatment for something that is normal.
    That show is the best... lol
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    I'm the exact same way and it pisses me off so much. Or I'll find something that I'm interested in, read the hell out of everything that I can get my hands on, and then forget 99% of it. This happened right after I started transitioning to Primal. I was having a conversation with my cousin and was trying to describe the theory and what-no behind Primal/Paleo and my mind just went completely blank.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I have read that this is an "A" type personality. Perhaps people like this are just too intelligent, thus get bored quickly?
    There is a Chinese saying.. "in intellectual has no craft" I can totally relate to this.
    My brother in law is like this, and he is highly intelligent but sadly not successful in life due to his lack of long-term focus in life and career.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Story of my life, but I have ADHD. I usually have a few projects going then lose interest before I finish them. I also get really excited about something, get really into it, but lose interest once the next thing comes along that I get excited about. I've had to learn to recognize when I'm getting excited about something that the chances of me following through on it are small and put the brakes on. I've also found that if I can limit the number of things at any given time that I'm gung-ho about I can return to older "excitements" and pick them back up. Sometimes it's a matter of forcing myself to take those first couple of steps and then I'm interested again. And yes, it's often a sign of intelligence and creativity.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am just like this... I love to learn... and I go nuts learning as much as I can then I am done.

But there a few things (hobbies) that have stuck with me my whole life but I rotate throught them as far as being my current obsession.

Cars,
    Collecting vintage firearms/ shooting,
    Online Gaming,
    Homebrewing,
    Motorcycle riding (new one)
    Primal living (new as well)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast