Thread: How much IF is too much? page

saturnfan is offline Senior Member

How much IF is too much?

Primal Fuel
    The one thing I have noticed after going primal (I am about 3 months in) is my appetite has been cut by well over 50%. I often go on 1 meal a day (but usually 2), and today I'm pretty sure I will not be eating anything. To put it in perspective, I have only eaten 7 times in the past 5 days.

As of this moment, I am a little hungry, but am in no way uncomfortable. I have school tonight, so it just seems more convenient to me to just not eat anything if I don't feel that I need to.

Should I just trust my appetite, or should I try to eat a little more?

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    all will say just eat when ur hungry. i would also add be careful on not consuming enough food calories depending on ur activity level.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I would advise that you just be sure to eat enough protein for your body's requirements. From my experience, the fat & carbs are somewhat negotiable, but I wouldn't skimp on your protein intake. Apart from that consideration, I haven't had any incorrigible problems eating on a schedule similar to yours (although I more often eat 2 meals per day, usually 3-4 hours apart).

Yesterday, at the end of a 20-hour fast (in the early afternoon), I started feeling really fatigued and sluggish, even though I had slept enough the night before. Such fatigue isn't typical for me during a fast. After I ate, I felt much more alert. So, yes, if you consistently fast for extended periods, don't be surprised if you start feeling drained. But you can easily tweak your schedule to avoid such problems -- just start eating more until you feel better.

On the plus side, I was able to lower my morning fasting blood glucose readings from 120s down into the low-to-mid 60s in only 3 months of consistently primal eating & extensive habitual fasting. Can't argue with success.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 11-10-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I agree in that you need to at least make sure that you're getting enough protein to avoid loosing muscle. Past that though, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you're feeling tired or something.

Are you working out or doing anything physical?

I was wondering why I was feeling a little more tired than normal these days. If I am only going to eat 1-2 meals a day, I'll try to make sure to ramp up the protien and see how it feels.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
    I was wondering why I was feeling a little more tired than normal these days. If I am only going to eat 1-2 meals a day, I'll try to make sure to ramp up the protien and see how it feels.
    If you're feeling tired you're not eating enough.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
    The one thing I have noticed after going primal (I am about 3 months in) is my appetite has been cut by well over 50%. I often go on 1 meal a day (but usually 2), and today I'm pretty sure I will not be eating anything. To put it in perspective, I have only eaten 7 times in the past 5 days.

As of this moment, I am a little hungry, but am in no way uncomfortable. I have school tonight, so it just seems more convenient to me to just not eat anything if I don't feel that I need to.

Should I just trust my appetite, or should I try to eat a little more?
    I think your going overboard with the IF. You say I am hungry at the moment but have school tonight so convenient not to eat. You're not uncomfortable with the hunger but it doesn't have to be uncomfortable.

@ Sue

Yea you might be right. I still have some lingering CW in me that a diet is supposed to have a little pain. I'll try and eat some more.