Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some foods taste different page

Tessa is offline Member

Some foods taste different

Primal Fuel
    It's weird - I've suddenly started to love some food items I've hated all my life.

Like cooked carrots. I've never been able to eat them, they always made me gag, even when I was a baby. And now - I really like them! Never thought I'd see the day.

Or small fish (like herring) that has lots of tiny bones. If I got one bone in my mouth it was an instant gag reflex. And now they don't bother me at all.

Still can't stand bell peppers though... *shudder*
    Character is defined by what you do when no one else is looking.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Sweets taste sweeter. A lot of stuff I could easily eat pre-paleo now tastes cloying.

thegomezclan is offline Junior Member
    first I lost the taste for coffee, used to live on the stuff..... then cheese got icky.... peanuts and peanut butter-meh.... black tea... now chicken is bland...
    as far as liking something more than before primal, butter is the thing that i add to almost anything else now, usually by the spoonful :-)

~Laura

Paleobird Guest
    A lot of people use the term gamey about meat in a pejorative way. For me gamey=yummy. Totally lost my taste for chicken too unless I drown it in a curry sauce. I have stopped keeping nuts in the house at all. I'm down to eating only 100% bakers chocolate that before would have been impossibly bitter but now tastes great. Kerrygold is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    A lot of people use the term gamey about meat in a pejorative way. For me gamey=yummy. Totally lost my taste for chicken too unless I drown it in a curry sauce. I have stopped keeping nuts in the house at all. I'm down to eating only 100% bakers chocolate that before would have been impossibly bitter but now tastes great. Kerrygold is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
    +1. Except my chocolate sweet spot is still in the 85-90% range. I haven't tried 100% in a while though, maybe I should.

I would purge my household of nuts but my fiancee likes them and I don't want to deprive her of something she likes to eat, since she is not the one with the weight control issue. Does make it harder to refrain from the occasional NOM NOM NOM incident though...

Gamey meat is definitely better. The grass-fed beef I get from my butcher has so much more flavor, even the cheap cuts, than regular store-bought or even the organic TJ's beef. It's not even a contest. It is tougher, but I really don't care.

I still like chicken, though.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Before going primal I used to have to drench strawberries in sugar(loved that syrup) and couldn't stand blackberries. Now, three months into primal, I love blackberries and I didn't think strawberries could be so sweet on their own.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree that so many foods taste better (the natural stuff). I was ga-ga for juicy, yummy fresh peaches in late summer (I have always loved fresh peaches, but wow - they tasted like heaven). And some foods that I used to love, don't have the same appeal. I tried a peanut m&m from my son's Halloween bag. They used to be a binge food for me, and now it just tasted gaggy sweet. I decided to taste one just to prove to myself that I'm not missing anything, and I was right.

And I looooove my 85% dark chocolate.

Tessa is offline Member
    Oh yes - dark chocolate! I bought Lindt 70% about two weeks ago and the first two times I had a small piece it seemed so overpowering. Now? It's almost too sweet

So when I finish this bar in a month or two, I'm getting the 85%.
    Character is defined by what you do when no one else is looking.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Within the last few months, and particularly the last few weeks, the majority of any non-Primal foods I have had (yes, it occasionally happens) seem to have changed in taste and become completely unsatisfactory to me. This includes things I would never have thought I could lose my "love" for, and were my favourites for years on end.

No surprise that all these "changed" foods are in the starchy/sweet family. I guess that now I seem to have broken through the addiction to sweets and grains and can assess these foodstuffs on their own merits (or lack thereof), they just have no real flavour, only cloying sweetness or tasteless starchiness.

My perception of protein/fat heavy foods however doesn't seem to have changed much, except perhaps that I don't require as much salt on my meat, eggs, etc as I used to; I'm appreciating their natural taste without the need for a great deal of enhancement.

I haven't got to the point of enjoying 95 or 100% chocolate yet though. In fact, my enthusiasm for any form of chocolate has completely waned. (Good grief. Never thought that would happen.)

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=Sigi;622726
    my enthusiasm for any form of chocolate has completely waned. (Good grief. Never thought that would happen.)[/QUOTE]

Me too. Chocolate is now something I have maybe once a week usually when I go for a long hike and sit down for a break at the end of the trail. It stays in the cabinet the rest of the week very quietly. Not calling to me at all like it used to.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-11-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast