Thread: Need a book recommendation - Nutrition based page

June is offline Senior Member

Need a book recommendation - Nutrition based

Primal Fuel
    I have a friend who just went vegetarian (1 month ago) and he finally asked me for some book recommendations on eating healthy. He is doing a 2-3 month vegetarian detox (he said his high-fat diet was making him feel sluggish - really I know it was his high-processed foods diet). After his "detox" he wants to reintroduce foods and such.

He doesn't seem to have issues digesting grains and he feels fine eating them, so I'm not sure if he would be interested in a book/plan that doesn't include grains.

He is about 55 years old, male, seems generally healthy to me, always "lively", and I know he works out about 5 days a week (lifting weights, although I'm not sure what effort, he doesn't have mass).

He is very smart and likes conspiracy theories, so he will take well to something against CW.

I was thinking of these, but couldn't decide because of the grain thing.
    Are there better options?? Ideally a book touting whole foods, that is again poly oils would be best I think.

Thanks in advance!!

Amazon.com: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (9780982565841): Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain Ph.D.: Books

Amazon.com: Perfect Health Diet: Four Steps to Renewed Health, Youthful Vitality, and Long Life (9780982720905): Paul Jaminet, Shou-Ching Jaminet: Books

Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series) (9780982207703): Mark Sisson: Books

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Might want to check out The Schwarzbein Principle.

She includes grains, but more as a "condiment" than as the main meal.... like 1/4th cup of brown rice instead of 5lbs of it.

Anyway, great read and the focus is on REAL.FOOD.

Skip on over to Amazon and read some reviews if you can.

Julie

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan

it focuses on eating clean, real foods, which might at times include some grains. the tag line is "eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables"

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Might want to check out The Schwarzbein Principle.

She includes grains, but more as a "condiment" than as the main meal.... like 1/4th cup of brown rice instead of 5lbs of it.

Anyway, great read and the focus is on REAL.FOOD.

Skip on over to Amazon and read some reviews if you can.

Julie
    Thanks I looked this up. I don't think this is quite right (The Nourished Life: Review of the Schwarzbein Principle Series) as it sounds like she advocates using canola oil?

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan

it focuses on eating clean, real foods, which might at times include some grains. the tag line is "eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables"
    Thanks I did read this book and I remember it really got me interested in whole foods. I will look through it again. From what I remember it is a long one

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    If you are looking for short, Michael Pollen also has one called Food Rules (I think) very short, afternoon read. But I don't think Defense of Food was that long (not like Good Calories/Bad Calories)
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, well, it's been since 2000 that I read it - but when I did, even if she advocated using canola oil, I never used it.

To me it was more of like the primal diet.... and grains weren't SUCH a no-no, but she just didn't want you eating them as the
    main meal.

My husband and I read it and did it to get his cholesterol down. It definitely worked and we lost a pile of weight just in time
    for our wedding and honeymoon.

If you check it out anywhere (i'm sure the library has it), just get the original version - I also bought The Schwarzbein Principle Two,
    but the main book was way better written and easy to understand for cerebral dummies like myself.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Perfect Health Diet is a really good one. They recommend white rice as a healthy starch... that's really the only grain though. Great book, anway.

And, yes, one of Michael Pollan's books would be a good starting point.