Thread: Fats & Cholesterol page

calicowgirl is offline Member

Fats & Cholesterol

Shop Now
    I'm so confused about what exactly is good and what isn't when it comes to fats. I think I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around eating so high in fat. Exactly what oils/fats are preferred and do I need to worry about moderating the amount of those fats and oils or just go for it?

I am also a little concerned about cholesterol. Not for myself, but for my boyfriend. He takes cholesterol meds. I don't know what his numbers look like, just that he takes meds. We're not primal just yet but we are doing 30 days grain free and I have been using only coconut oil, butter/animal fats and olive oil for cooking. I am really hoping he will notice a difference during this time in his energy and weight since he tends to be a junk food junkie and most of his crap food comes from stuff like cookies and pastries which are out.

I have read that some people's cholesterol goes up. I am concerned that if that is the case then he may not want to continue or that his Dr will have a fit so I want to be prepared with info that could help if that happens to be the case.

I have so many questions, but will stop here for now. I guess I really need to pick up one of the Primal books but an unsure which is best to get, the Primal Blueprint book or the newer one?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Ok let me help, Clift notes,

Saturated fat is your best friend. Eat it up.

Polyunsaturated fat is not... it raises bad LDL

Please read this, It will explain a lot. (also read his References)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

Lastly, if you have netflix, you can stream "fathead" it does a great job explaining this (and let me to become primal)

Cheers

Karma is offline Senior Member
    If cholesterol goes up there is concern, get a VAP test done to check actual particle size. My total Cholesterol is high 234, but LDL is all pattern A (light fluffy).

calicowgirl is offline Member
    Thank you both! I have put that forum article into a word doc and sent it to my boyfriend. I really hope he decides to go get a VAP test done.

Off to read more!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    My cholesterol went way up. Total chol is around 240. HDL is 93.7 and my LDL has got to be the good kind, and only at 150. I'm basically heart disease proof according to some data.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I would get it checked if you're worried.

FYI, cholesterol can be too low too. Mine was 6 months ago before starting primal/paleo. Just got tested again... I hope it went up!

Chris Kresser (google his blog) has some interesting info on cholesterol (and the myths / causes associated with it being too high).