Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Clabbergirl) page 2

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Third morning I've felt depressed in the morning and then gradually lightened up as the day went on. These short, dark days aren't helping. I long for spring.

Tried a modified one-minute muffin concoction last night using flaxseed meal...it was ok. Debated on the fake sugar or honey thing again, fake won. Felt pretty lame about it too. I was still hungry but had to leave for 2nd job so took sliced ham and layered it in a bowl with cheddar cheese, nuking the whole thing for a few min. in the microwave. Pulled it out, cut the whole thing up with a knife and devoured it - very good, quick, and protein-y. I bought frozen shrimp at the grocery and will try adding that to a veggie when I'm in a pinch.

I've been reading tons on the Leptin Reset thread - so confused. I've read so much at this point about so many people that I can't remember who said what or who is taking what for which. It's mind-boggling. I'd love a step-by-step thread, or a flowchart, something a little easier to follow. I'm sure I'm leptin resistant, no question, but where do I start? What's the point of starting if I cannot get to bed before 11pm 3-5 nights a week? Are there any benefits at all?

Also been researching iodine again and started supplementing again. One particular Dr. (Bowenstein?) talked about detoxification when taking iodine, and one of those symptoms is skin rash. Bromide leaving the skin and such. Wondering if that's what was going on with me. Surely not. I wish I could find someone with the same issue to pick their brain.

Three and a half weeks of this and feeling much better than before. Supplementing with iodine again, more gradually, and that's working out much better too. Been using salt flushes here and there to help with the bromaderma symptoms - brilliant solution and almost invigorating the way I feel afterward. Wide AWAKE. Weird to get that from salt. Nonetheless, not seeing any difference in body size or waist, which is discouraging a little bit. I tell myself I will see changes as my metabolism heals, I WILL. But not seeing any signs at all right now. It is really nice, however, to eat real food and feel like a satiated, regular human being. No counting shit, just eating good food, and feeling good while doing it.
    Last edited by Clabbergirl; 02-07-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    Thanks, unsuperb. I am trying to lose 50 lbs so I'm battling with the decision of what is best - insulin spikes from sugar or fake sugar. Neither is good, I know, and some say fake sugar causes a spike in blood glucose just the same. I haven't got a blood glucose monitor to test either. I like the idea of natural, hate the idea of fake, but also hate the idea of so much weight to lose...
    What about Birch Tree sugar? Has no insulin response, good for your teeth and mouth and doesn't have that aftertaste. It has about the same sweetness as regular sugar. AFAIK it's the same kind of sugar that our body naturally makes when it metabolizes carbs ... or something. YEAH

I have not heard of this, let alone as a sweetener. I'll check into it. Thanks.

Four weeks in and I have notched my belt tighter by one bit. I *think* I can see a little bit of a difference around my waist when I stand sideways in the mirror, but not sure if that's wishful thinking or not. My friends remarked I look like I'd lost weight a few days ago, but they haven't seen me in months and I was wearing a coat. I don't bother with scales anymore so who knows. But I do feel better, although not terrific 100% of the time. Right now trying to get past migraines/sinus issues. WTF. Asked my ENT if this was going to be my life in the forever future...he said maybe as long as I live in this part of the world. That SUCKS. I also refuse to believe there's nothing I can do, and he's not the kind of doctor who usually says that sort of thing. Maybe it was an off day for him too.

But still managing to stay away from grains and keep the carb count low. This way of eating is so liberating after years of carb and calorie counting. I had a lb of bacon this morning and it was heavenly. HEAVENLY.

Five weeks in. Pants may be a little bit looser around the hips, upper thighs, and waist. Afraid to hope. Trying not to think about it and just press on. Started grapefruit seed extract over the weekend and really added a lot to my tea starting 3 days ago. Oddly enough, I've felt pretty lethargic for 3 days too - sleepy, heavy, sluggish, fogged. Very different from how I felt last week. I can attribute it to the GSE I guess, since it is connected. Suppose this is the dreaded die off? I've been skeptical of die off for ages, there's just so many variables and so many people that report things that couldn't possibly be affected. But maybe there's something to it. Maybe. I've decided to slow down on the GSE supplementing to see if I start feeling better. Instead of 5 drops 2x a day, I've gone to 5 drops 1x a day...that was last night. And this morning I'm slow as Moses again...so maybe I should reduce to 2x day for a week or something...

Craving sugar and carbs like mad too. WTF.

I've been eating primal 80/20 for the past month...

Not feeling a lot of difference and very disgusted with my body shape and weight. I've been browsing the success stories and noticed an overwhelming majority of them are posted by men of any age and women under 35 - most notably in their late 20s and early 30s. I scratch my head and wonder where are the menopausal WOMEN?? Do they not know about paleo/primal eating, or does it (GASP) not work for them?

Does anything work for the menopausal female????

Sure, eating this way will make me healthier. I get that. But I am human. I need motivation, concrete, tangible motivation, to boost me through difficult choices, just like anyone else. Knowing that I may add another 10+ years to my life, and increase the quality of it, certainly is a motivator. But when I stand in front of the mirror after a shower and feel revulsion, or when I want to cry because nothing fits right no matter the size, or when I see that I am invisible to the general public (she's fat, don't make eye contact with her!)...well, it's hard to perceive extending the length of time I stay in this morbidly obese shell as...motivating.

So...

I am distraught at the way my body has changed shape with this onset of menopause. Sure, it's fat, but it's not feminine in the way it always was. Gaining fat around the middle more than ever in my life, and it just doesn't go away. Fat on my upper arms and around my chest (yet not in my breasts - gee, thanks Mother Nature for that cruel joke). I would love to go to an open minded doctor and get it under control with bio hormones, but alas, the funds are not there. Is there nothing diet will do on it's own to assist with this hormone whack job my body is going through???

I feel my hypothryoidism is undertreated also...can't get a dr to go outside the stupid lab test and treat the symptoms. SO...I must resort to other means of obtaining this hormone. Sigh. Another stressor.

Anyway, checking in to get some of these thoughts out of my head. This is really brought on my training at work yesterday in which we had to do physical things and demonstrations, and a female 30 year old coworker who's been eating 'clean' looked incredible. She does the crossfit and paleo, and her results ARE INCREDIBLE. I was so envious of her...and then it dawned on me she is like so many of these success stories - young.

Are menopausal females lost in the primal/paleo world?

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Primal chased my menopausal symptoms away. Night sweats. Insomnia. Bloating. Mood swings.

Not completely, and forever, but almost.

Key was keeping almost 95-100% strict with the eating, and lifting weights. I hate exercise but it works together with the diet to give me results.

Also, I don't expect perfection. I don't look 25 again, and never will. There are more lumps and wrinkles and blemishes. But you gotta expect that at nearly 50 and get over it.

Thanks for the input. It's encouraging to hear from someone whose seen benefits in this stage of life. I don't expect to look 30 again, but I am not comfortable with the present state of things, obviously, and there IS something I can do about the excess weight. I dislike exercise but always enjoyed lifting in my younger days. Perhaps I will revisit.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have hypothyroidism and have been peri-menopausal for over 10 years (I'm 57 and still having periods). I could not lose weight until my hormones were optimized- both thyroid and female- and that took over 8 years. After I was optimized it took letting my body heal for several months before things started to change.

In the end, I lost 50+ pounds and have kept it off. Although not without periods of regain.

Do you have lab test results, including lab ranges, for the thyroid issues that you could share? I might be able to make a few suggestions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast