Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 months, little results. page

hoobie2000 is offline Junior Member

6 months, little results.

Primal Fuel
    Hi!

I'm loving the primal diet and doing the exercise but I don't feel or look very different.

The reason I started going primal was that I always lacked energy. Getting a bit more muscular would be a nice bonus because although I have always been skinny I have never actually seen my abs .

However, after 6 months of meat/veg, some fruit, sprints and weightlifting nothing much has changed. My body does not look much different and I still feel very tired.

I visited a doctor about this and we've done many tests but other than a dust allergy I'm in tip top shape. The doctors weren't worried about my allergy as taking medicine for it doesn't seem to change anything. So I am very curious what the deal is.

I eat:
    * lots of eggs
    * some steak (a lot of it grass-fed or at least organic)
    * lots of organic turkey and chicken.
    * tuna.
    * salad, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, unions, spinach, broccoli, leek, bell peppers, cucumbers (raw or steamed)
    * coconut oil, olive oil.
    * Garlic and other herbs.

I don't eat sugars, grains, very little dairy (except butter) and pretty much nothing processed.

Exercise:
    * The occasional 5km slow jog.
    * 100m sprints, once every 2 weeks.
    * Resistance weightlifting 3 times a week (split in to leg, core, arms sessions).

So as far as what I eat and my exercise I should be right on track right?

I have also tracked my caloric in take using fit day. I am 180cm tall and weigh 64 kilos. I eat about 2000 calories a day. I've not measured it lately but I think my protein intake is also enough.

Do any of you have any idea why I'm not making progress or feeling better,
    or know something I could try?

Thanx.
    Last edited by hoobie2000; 11-10-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    if your goal is to get more muscular you will probably have to eat more. as for being tired, how much sleep are you getting?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating any starches at all? If you are lifting and sprinting regularly you might just have low muscle glycogen, which will definitely make you feel tired/slow. It's easy to try introducing some starch in the form of sweet potatoes, cassava/tapioca, taro, white rice, even skinned potatoes are pretty safe. Play around with it and see what makes you feel good. You don't need to be low-carbing at your weight and activity level. You could probably use 150g or so of starch a day with no trouble.

EDIT: If upping the starches is helping, you should notice a difference in your energy level and how fast you can sprint/how well you perform in the weight room pretty much immediately, within a few days.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-10-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Paleobird Guest
    I just did the math for the metrically challenged US folks. You are 5'11" and about 141 lbs. You lack energy because you need to eat more. Unlike many of us, you don't have fuel reserves on your rear to tap into. If you don't put gas in the tank, the car isn't going to run very well.

Your diet and exercise plan look very sound but I would second what Uncephalized said about starches. When you don't need to lose weight, they are not evil at all. Also, you said you eat butter but perhaps you could try adding a bit more fat here and there to the mix.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just did the math for the metrically challenged US folks. You are 5'11" and about 141 lbs. You lack energy because you need to eat more. Unlike many of us, you don't have fuel reserves on your rear to tap into. If you don't put gas in the tank, the car isn't going to run very well.
    +1

What is your percent body fat? Male or female?

BMR for men at your height/weight is 1642 calories
    BMR for women at your height/weight is 1460 calories

Factoring in exercise/activity level:
    Men: 2545 calories/day
    Women: 2263 calories/day
    and that's just to maintain weight and muscle mass. You'll probably need to exceed those values to gain muscle.

So you definitely need to eat more. Starches vs fat, I'd keep carbs to 150g/day max and up the fat intake if you need more calories. I personally feel better with less carbs, so that's the basis of my recommendation.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Thank you for all the great answers.

I am male and unfortunately don't know my body fat %.
    Because I am so tired I get 10 hours of sleep per day.

I feel most energetic from 9pm till midnight. I usually eat my supper around 7pm.

I've thought often about eating more but it would mean I'd have to force it down as I feel pretty full on the amount of food I currently eat.

I will try to add some starches right away and I will be a bit more liberal with my fat as well. I will report back.

More ideas are of course always welcome.

Thanks again!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I would start to include bone broth, magnesium, more carbs and more fat. The bone broth will cover lots of minerals, and it also has fat in it. I was struggling with fatigue recently, but now I drink bone broth, 1 cup w every meal, and it has really helped. Magnesium-supplement helped me as my sleep became deeper, hence I wake up feeling rested. I agree with more starches,at your weight you certainly don't have to fear them. Try to have a spoon of fat (CO is a good one) with meals as well, it should help upping your total daily cals without taking too much room in your belly.

1 more question about the starches. Is there a time of day that's best for eating them?

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoobie2000 View Post
    1 more question about the starches. Is there a time of day that's best for eating them?
    A good time would be after your weight workout with a lot of protein and veg. The actual hour of the day is not very important.

You haven't mentioned much about sleep. Lack of proper sleep is enough to stall your fitness goals. 10 hours a day sounds like the quality might be suffering, especially since you go to bed so late. Have you tried going to bed closer to dusk? Dark bedroom, cool temperature, free from electronics?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by hoobie2000 View Post
    Because I am so tired I get 10 hours of sleep per day.

I feel most energetic from 9pm till midnight.
    Eureka!

Your sleep is disordered, and you may be suffering from adrenal fatigue. Let me repost a list of questions I wrote for someone else:

"Do you drink coffee or take any kind of stimulant? If you do, stop.

Are you taking vitamin D and magnesium every day? If not, start.

Are you exercising like crazy, especially cardio? If you are, cut way back. Go for relaxing walks in natural settings instead, if possible.

Are you watching TV or staring at any kind of screen after the sun goes down? If you are, stop.

Are you around people that stress you out? Avoid them.

Are you in unnecessary stressful situations? Avoid those too.

Are you able to sleep until you wake up naturally? If you can, do it.

Are you sleeping in a DARK room with absolutely no artificial lighting? If not, make it happen.

Are you going to bed at a regular time, which is not too long after the sun goes down? If not, start.

Are you eating grains or sugar? If you are, quit.

Are you drinking alcohol regularly, especially late in the evening? If you are, quit that too.

Adrenal fatigue sucks. I had it when I was working night shifts to get myself through engineering school, and it darkened my whole life. I was tired and grumpy all the time and I could never get to sleep before 1 am, and I had to force myself to get up every morning. It felt horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It took me more than six months to get over completely. But make as many positive changes as you can and stick to them, and you can beat it! It's totally worth the work to fall asleep easily and wake up refreshed and energetic without an alarm every day."

--Originally posted by me.

This might not be your problem, but getting better-quality sleep and resting your adrenals certainly won't hurt either way.

Also, something that I learned more recently is that eating very low carb is actually stressful to your adrenals as well. It all kind of ties in.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast