Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First week of Primal - family problems page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It pays to shop around, too. Here's $70 at my farmer's market:

Here's $70 shopping at my food coop and Trader Joe's:

I'll bet if I didn't want the grass-fed and organic stuff I could double the amount by shopping at a regular grocery store. I live in one of the most expensive cities in Southern California, it that helps explain why food is so expensive for me.

Note that all the crap trader joe's junk food is for him. I get steak and vegetables and he gets frozen pizza or tamales. Saves a lot of money and makes him happy he doesn't have to eat the food that's going to "kill him."

Also, as I've gone along, I eat only twice a day at most and a few times now I've eaten only once. And those meals were all normal sized, not extra large to compensate. So even though there's not a lot of food shown there there's still a lot left over in the freezer and fridge from last time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

MonsterAlice is offline Member
    [QUOTE=TigerLily;623434...about 25% are spending less. It's because we're not eating out, descending upon the vending machines at work, going for 7-11 raids at midnight, and also just our bodies require less food volume-wise now.

Anyway, is the money his legitimate concern ... or is that just his excuse? Lots of partners are so resistant and will try to sabotage when the other begins to change and improve their life. (Been there, done that.) If so, once you can prove you are spending the same or even less, he'll just come up with another excuse at that point and will whine you to death.[/QUOTE]

Money is a legitimate concern - we had some high expenses this year and need to build our "lost my job" fund back up by 8k. So that's a real worry, but we are addressing it in other ways, like cutting back on Yule presents for each other and trying not to impulse shop.

Part of the problem with the increased food bill is that we were extremely thrifty before - no snacks, ate out twice a week or less, no sodas, spending $2/person or less on rice- or pasta-based dinners at home (we didn't buy meat except for the occasional ground turkey). Our weekly protein came mainly from the meals out. So primal snacks (nuts) are an added expense, we aren't saving anything on reducing sodas or junk food, and the Primal diet is more expensive than the mediterranean diet we were eating, because protein costs more than carbs.

But in the last week I found both nuts and meat on sale, and although we always buy groceries on "house" money, I threw in "personal" money and H. was much better than I expected about a $70 grocery bill.

As far as resistance and sabotage, I think there is some of that, based on his fear that he will have to eat the same way. I haven't said anything to him (he remained thin on the med. diet) about the possible danger of adding fat and protein on top of a high carb diet. If I lose weight and he gains, he might be willing to make the switch.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    So primal snacks (nuts) are an added expense
    There is no need to snack, period! And most nuts are high in Omega 6 so cut them out and save money.

( Check out Leptin Reset to see about snacking. Getting rid of snacks is very liberating and will help with weight control too)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what's in the mediterranean diet, but one way I've tried to make it easier on my partner is when he makes dishes that have a substrate of rice or pasta, I just skip the rice or pasta, or substitute a small amount of sweet potato or fry up a burger patty to use as the substrate for my sauce if the sauce has no meat in it. He gets his pasta/rice and I don't have to eat it. One night we had cioppino which we usually eat with a big hunk of bread so instead of the bread I put cheese and sour cream in my soup. If I had made the cioppino, I would have dumped a half a bag of cheap calamari rings in it to stretch it out, but when he made it, cheese and sour cream seemed to be the only way to make it a meal. I think there's a little residual annoyance about the whole "serve yourself" aspect of not assembling the meal for me on my plate, but he's willing to put up with it since it's important to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12