Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not see weight loss for a long time? page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Anyone not see weight loss for a long time?

Shop Now
    I'm curious if anyone here didn't see any weight loss for a really long time, especially if you are female and older than 35 (I'm 46). When did it finally begin for you? Were there other changes you could see or feel in the interim? Did you have to do anything special to get the weight loss to start or did it just magically begin? Or did it turn out you were losing a pound a month and didn't notice until 6 months passed?

I'm just looking for some encouragement here. I've been very clean, very strict, very low carb (archevore diet, not paleo) and want some reassurance that something will happen someday to cinch my belt to the next hole.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    How many calories are you eating? What is your macronutrient ratio? What is your weight and height?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm 46 too, and I had a marked weight loss within a day or two of dropping wheat, then it slowed but steadily went down. I was almost 30 pounds over what I figured was my ideal, and now I'm pretty close to where I want to be.

What do you eat in a typical day? Are you getting decent sleep? Are you on any meds?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    You might need to track your calories and do a mild calorie restriction. If I follow paleo/primal/archevore/whatever (NAD free), then I can maintain weight. If I calorie restrict, then I can lose weight. Calorie restriction can be: not snacking, eating 3 meals until satisfied and not compensating for weight lifting, getting into ketosis and not getting hungry so you burn off your own fat, or it can be intentionally limiting the number of calories you consume. You'll have to experiment and try it out.

I had to use fitday to figure out what a reasonable portion size was for me. Years of veg*n dieting really messed up what I thought was a good portion size. It turns out 3 lbs of meat + potatoes + fruit doesn't help me lose weight. Lifting weights *really* helps me too.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Yep, me. I'm 41, very tall (6'1) and have alot of weight to lose (100+). I lost a bunch in the first month, then its been a slow, steady drop. I've been in a bit of a lull lately, but my diet has been falling apart around the edges and I need to tighten up, I just got complacent and know I can't afford to do that. If I hadn't been getting on the scale, I would have sworn I wasn't losing at all - even then, I can play massive games with the scale, so tend to rely on the people around me to tell me that I look good and am losing weight. I went to people I trusted, and said look, this is really important and I need you to be honest with me, and tell me if I look like I've lost weight, OR gained weight, even if you think its a shitty thing to do.

So far, they've been really great and supportive. I'm finally getting some comments after almost a year, from people who aren't in my hand picked group. If I was relying on clothing fit, or the scale, or what I see in the mirror (especially what I see in the mirror!!) I'd be a mental mess. I've just been trusting the process and going on how I feel and what energy do I have, what pain do I have etc. I've had to give the control of "weight" to others, because I know I can't trust myself with it, but I CAN focus on other positives. Those other positives have happened and are still happening, so I'm trusting the process, and trusting those around me to let me know its working in the weight loss area too.

I've still got such a long way to go, but someone said to me at the barn the other night that they were amazed at how well I'd done and I'd lost a really large amount - I looked at her and said "really?". She couldn't believe that I couldn't tell. I can hope, but the mental damage and walls I have to overcome make my own opinion something I can't trust, which is I think the biggest hurdle I have to overcome outside of the actual weight loss itself.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Did you not see any weight loss for a long time? I'm hoping to get some assistance or encouragement from someone who has been in my shoes.

I'm 46, female, 5'3" and my guess is I weight about 155-160lbs (doctor's office said 163 several months ago). I don't weigh or measure anything. I eat very few carbs. I eat twice a day. Lots of grass-fed beef with non-carby veggies and pastured eggs cooked in butter. Gave up wine, cheese and nuts a while back. I take a walk every day and am otherwise sedentary (desk job.)

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I'm 42yo, 4'11" and 128 (down from ~139). I have a desk job, but engage in random sports. I found that weight lifting and HIIT (sprints) were the most important factor. I did roller derby for two seasons, skating 9 hours a week, and quit lifting because I didn't have the time/energy. Now I'm back to lifting, only skating once or twice a week, and finally starting to lose again (slowly!)

I think vigorous anaerobic exercise is especially important if you are sedentary most of the day. It doesn't just burn calories, it builds muscle, burns sugar, and increases your growth hormone signalling which are all important for fat loss.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

I may try weights after the holidays. The gym on campus is $80 a month and with all the holidays, I don't want to pay full price if I can't use it because I'm on holiday for 20 days. I guess I can put up with zero weight loss for another month and a half if weights is the ONLY way. What about meat-only a few days a week? Do you think that might work to set things in motion?

I totally get it about asking other people to be your mirror. I keep hoping someone will ask if I've lost weight but then I pull my pants out of the dryer and there's my reality check. It does seem I might be changing shape a little if that makes sense, but it's hard to trust my own eyes and my pants tell me I'm the same size. Hence my asking if anyone went a long time without weight loss while something percolated inside for a few months first.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    There's a free bodyweight workout PDF around here somewhere, you could start with that until you get into the gym.
    What about meat-only a few days a week? Do you think that might work to set things in motion?
    Hmm, I'm more of a meat at every meal kinda person. Some people do have allergies to certain meats so you might try incorporating other species into your menu.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    My mum is 69 and has lost 12kg. (24 pounds I think). She mostly eats low fat meats, lots and lots of vegges/salad, and maybe 1 apple a day. Thats it. Its the biggest weight loss in her whole life! No heavy cardio because she just cant. She walks a bit, rides a stationay bike a bit, dances a bit in her lounge room and lift cans of food.

It has taken a few months.. but wow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast