Thread: Quail eggs? ever tried them? page

beckinwolf is offline Member

I found quail eggs at my local Co-op today. They're so little and cute. I'm going to try them tomorrow. They came in a little 10-pack. I figured I'd fry them up in some coconut oil and see how taste. They also sell duck eggs there. I bought a dozen a few months ago. OMG, talk about rich. They were so heavenly. The yolks reminded me of some kind of pate. Anyone else try any unique and different eggs besides chicken? I have a local source for my eggs and I'm so glad. A guy I work with has about 15 yard hens. They run all over his property pecking and laying. For $2 a dozen, can't beat fresh eggs.

Carpe Diem!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

All eggs = YUM!!!

I used to have six Auracana hens. They laid super-rich eggs, which had brown, and some teal blue shells!

I've seen Ostrich eggs at WF, would really like to try one sometime when I have buddies over for brunch.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

I buy them ready hard-boiled and eat them with celery salt. They're yummy!

Waitrose (UK) sometimes has ostrich eggs but one of those is too much for me.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I had some canned ones... a long time ago. Would be great to find some fresh.

Jefferson is offline Member

I'll have to find a bigger fridge before I can pick up a carton of Ostrich eggs.

beckinwolf is offline Member

Well, they turned out pretty good. When scrambled they turn out to about the quantity of 2 or 3 large chicken eggs. A little less than I usually eat, but not bad. Very tasty. Although cracking them is kind of weird. There's a thick membrane between the shell and the insides, so you basically have to "pop" the egg to get the goodies out. Very messy! I've eaten a raw one before on some sushi on a dare, but they are pretty good cooked too.

Carpe Diem!

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

It's essentially always hard boiled in my world...