Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet and Sinusitis page 2

freds4 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is very interesting. I have only been eating Primal for about 6 or 7 weeks. Recently I went to an Asian Buffet with my Wife and although I tried to eat only what I should, I really have no idea what ingredients were in what I ended up eating. By the time I finished and walked to the parking lot my nose was completely clogged shut and I knew immediately that it was from something I ate.

alexdc is offline Member
    I left you a nice comment in my survey. I figured I would post it in the thread to bump this one up for a while longer.

I have been suffering from rather severe sinus issues for about 5 years now. Mostly, these issues have manifested in the overproduction of phelm and bad post-nasal drip. On average, I would spit 7-8 teaspoons of phelm each day. Partially, these symptoms of a wheat allergy (diagnosed about 6 months ago), but even after I stopped eating all wheat and grain products my sinus issues persisted, though they were not as severe. I would spit approximately 4-5 teaspoons of phelm each day. Approximately 4 months ago I began eating according to the Paleo Diet/Primal Blueprint, but did not notice a change in my symptoms. In the last month I have looked deeply into what the Paleo Diet/Primal Blueprint has to say about maintaining a 1:1 omega 6 to omega 3 ratio and the inflammatory issues that may arise from consuming more omega 6 than omega 3 fatty acid. In the last month, I have strictly monitoring my consumption of omega 6 and omega 3 ratio, and roughly maintained a 2:1 ratio. After approximately a week of making this change, I found my symptoms improved drastically, though they have not disappeared completely. However, currently I only find myself spitting 1-2 teaspoons of phelm maybe 2-3 days a week. I currently consume 2-3 quarts of milk on a daily basis, but have not noticed any association between my consumption of dairy and my sinus issues.

docdmartin is offline Junior Member
    Happy New Year.

Thank you so much everyone. I could still use more responses.

Paleo Sinusitis Survey

elektro is offline Member
    I have had sinusitis for as long as I can remember. I have tried everything with no relief. I've been eating primal for about a year now and my sinusitis has actually gotten significantly worse this past year to the point where I'm sick almost every couple weeks. I have been reading some articles lately relating sinusitis/allergies to candida, so my next approach is to try and get rid of the candida and see if they improve. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

@elektro I don't think that candida would cause all your sinusitis, but one year ago, before starting to eat paleo, I wouldn't have given much credence to claims that sinusitis improved with diet. That being said, the paleo diet should decrease candida as it is low in sugars.

Thank you so much everyone. I could still use more responses.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FGJWTBX
    Last edited by docdmartin; 01-14-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: bad link

PrimalPam is offline Member
    Ditto to those whose symptoms improved with Paleo eating.

I can't remember a day in my life without sinus issues. I've had a deviated septum fixed, polyps removed, and still, I was stuffed all day. Particularly when I laid down at night. I've gone through a box of Breathe Right strips a month.

Stopped eating grains, processed foods, starcy carbs....and the first NIGHT, I was amazed...clear breathing, all night. And every night. I only use about 1 tissue per week now, whereas I'd go through a box a month.

Will fill out your survey now....
    Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
    Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
    5'2" Female
    11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
    7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    The change in my life and alleviation of my sinusitis has been amazing. I used to snore horribly, and had sinus infections every winter, like clockwork, since I was a kid. The ear nose and throat guy my mom took me too said I had enormous adenoids and teeny tiny nasal passages, and would probably need surgery as an adult, if I didn't grow out of it. I breathed through my mouth automatically, and always sounded "stuffy"- my "N"s sounded like "d"s. (Which, if your name is say, "Jenna", really sucks.) Going back to the doctor as an adult, they insisted that I had some kind of particulate sensitivity, because my nasal passages were so inflamed.

I suppose they were sort of correct, although the "particles" turned out to be grains. I am guessing that the "teeny tiny nasal passages" were actually a result of the system-wide inflammation that I had. I was snoring less within a week of beginning my Primal Journey. I can breathe through my nose now, and am no longer sick in the wintertime. Sinus infections vanished. When we visited home after 6 months grain-free, my father-in-law commented that even my voice had changed. I now snore only on occasion: when sick or after tee many martoonies.

My husband, who has allergies and mild asthma, no longer has to medicate for his seasonal allergies, as long as he is careful to keep gluten out of his diet- and he used to be a mess every hayfever season, even WITH the meds! It's really been life-changing for both of us.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Dig62 is offline Member
    Lifelong sinus and ear problems, with infections requiring antibiotics at least four times per year since childhood. Both issues have cleared up completely on a paleo diet. Dairy is definitely the culprit for me as a grain-heavy vegan diet achieved the same results, although I have since come to me senses and swapped out the grains for meat.

So far the results look great! I'm bumping the thread to try and get over 100 responses total. Thanks everyone!

Paleo Sinusitis Survey

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just did your survey... I'm a lifelong allergy sufferer (dusts, molds, and roaches, especially, plus animals), and I have seen drastic improvement in my general health and ear/nose/throat health since going primal. I think that cutting out SUGAR has a huge impact on my allergies. I still take prescription allergy medicine, which helps a lot, but I think primal/paleo would be ideal for a lot of indoor allergy sufferers.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast