Thread: 10 Day Primal Challenge page

brianwahl is offline Junior Member

10 Day Primal Challenge

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!

I'm Brian. A bit about myself - I'm 32, 5'11", around 210lbs, and my bodyfat % is higher than I'd like to think. Probably around 25%. I'm a former college athlete (played linebacker at a small college). I think I've always sort of known deep down that the primal lifestyle was the way we should all live, and reading Mark's site and books has just confirmed those thoughts.

Anyway, I understand that I need to be healthy and that a healthy lifestyle is just that - a lifestyle. Since college (so for about the last 10 years), I've battled it - sometimes doing well, sometimes not. I've tried 30-day challenges before, and I've never made it 30 days. Then I beat myself up and really fall off. So - here's to a 10 day challenge.

If I make it 10 days, I can make it 10 more. And then 10 more after that. And so on...

Day 1 - November 8, 2011

The challenge started off pretty good! I’ve been hampered by a pulled muscle in my lower back for the last week or so. The pain is holding steady, but I’m getting around ok. I managed to run a few miles.

Food

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 4 slices of bacon, cheese, coffee, creamer

Meal 2: a bit of peanut butter and milk (more like a snack)

Meal 3: 1.5 cups 2% milk, 2 scoops ON 100% whey, 2 tbsp peanut butter (post workout)

Meal 4: about 1/2 chicken breast, 3 clementine oranges

Calories: 1503
    Fat: 74.6g (44.6%)
    Carbs: 84g (22.3%)
    Protein: 124.5 (33.1%)

Workout

2 mile run (neighborhood)
    Time: 17:47

The 2nd mile felt better than the first. Back is pretty touchy, but I feel like I can run ok.

Day 2- November 9, 2011

Great day! Back pain is starting to get better – significantly better, actually. My food today was really good, too. I took the day off for any kind of workout, though. I’ve done some running the past 3 days in a row. I figured my back (and legs) could use the break.

Food

Meal 1: 3 eggs, cheese, Fage 2% yogurt, strawberries, coffee, half and half
    Meal 2: chicken breast (with skin), guacamole, mixed vegetables
    Meal 3: chicken breast (with skin), guacamole, banana
    Meal 4: cashews

Calories: 1576
    Fat: 85.6g (48%)
    Carbs: 101.7g (25.5%)
    Protein: 104g (26%)

I really need to eat fewer carbs. I’ve been reading Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes, and I’m starting to believe that starchy carbohydrates really are the devil. It’s looking like most of my carbs today came from the strawberries, the banana, and the half and half.

Weight today was 207.8. Yesterday (day 1) I weighed in at just over 209. There is always some fairly significant (2 to 3 pounds?) of water-weight loss when you first start eating right again. I’m attributing my weight loss to that.

Day 3 - November 10, 2011

Day 3 down, and things are looking good. Food was great today. I ran about 2.5 miles today. I’m running in a 5K race on Saturday put on by the Christian Life Home. They are a organization who cares for unwed pregnant girls. So, to prep for the 5K I’m taking tomorrow off. I haven’t run a full 5K in a while – should be interesting.

Food

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, cheese, coffee, creamer
    Meal 2: 2 scoops ON whey, 1.5 cups milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter
    Meal 3: 5 oz chicken, guacamole, broccoli, butter, a few cashews
    Meal 4: 3 eggs (hard boiled), a few strawberries

Macros:

Calories: 1832
    Fat: 109g (53%)
    Carbs: 60g (14%)
    Protein: 152g (32%)

This is more like it. Finally a few more calories, and my total carbs (and carb sources) are closer to where I’d like them.

Workout

2.43 mile run. Time: 21:25

Back and achilles felt fine.

Weight: 206.8. I’ve dropped 2.5 pounds in 3 days, which is really fast. Water-weight loss is what I’m thinking.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't try the marathon this soon if you're trying to get keto-adapted for the first time. At least eat a good mountain of sweet potatoes the day of your run.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I wouldn't try the marathon this soon if you're trying to get keto-adapted for the first time. At least eat a good mountain of sweet potatoes the day of your run.
    A marathon would be suicide, haha. I'm just doing a 5K, which isn't a big deal. Usually, when I'm trying to get back into working out after a bit of a layoff, I'll start with a 3 mile run, which is basically a 5K. I'm not worried at all about finishing it - I'm just curious how bad my time is going to be.

I've also eaten primal in the past so my body isn't too shocked by not having all the carbs.

Thanks for responding!