Thread: Pregnancy - What to eat when you're feeling sick? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Pregnancy - What to eat when you're feeling sick?

Primal Fuel
    I'm feeling a bit sick most of the time. Not bad enough to make me vomit, but enough to put me off food. This morning for example I only managed to eat two scrambled eggs ... Not really enough.
    Dry, salty things like crisps I can stomach, but I can't just eat that. I'm thinking of getting some gluten free bread perhaps. Not ideal but better than nothing I guess.
    I've got problems with fructose and dairy so that limits things a bit.

Any suggestions?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

alberteinstein is offline Junior Member
    DVD (digital versatile disc) - a popular type of removable media that is the same dimensions as a CD but stores up to 12 times as much information. It is the most common way of transferring digital video, and is popular for data storage.

Final Year Application Projects

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Lemons with salt on them curb the nausea. I know that sounds ridiculous but I was so sick with both kids, losing a lot of weight and that's the only thing that helped so I could eat other foods. It was a trick posted on a Mommy board I was on, a lot of women had success with it. Just wedge a lemon, sprinkle on some sea salt and have a couple slices. Your nausea will subside so you can actually eat some real food

It does sound weird, but I do like lemons so I'll give it a try.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Fresh ginger root tea. It takes a while to get used to it but there's not a better remedy for stomach issues. Cut a few thin pieces of a fresh ginger root and add them to your favorite cup of tea. By itself ginger tea isn't the best tasting. Let it stand for 5 min so the volatile oils get extracted into the tea. You can add a bit of honey according to your taste. Once you finish the tea, give it 10 - 20 minutes. Just a word of caution: you will be hungry like a wolf within an hour.

Also, take some vitamin B6 each morning to ease the morning sickness. Just stay within daily allowed limit.

What week are you in? My wife is in 13th and she thought she was over with the morning sickness, which seems like she was, until couple of days ago when out of nowhere she threw up the breakfast 5 minutes after she had it.
    Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
    LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I eat what I can stomach...I try to make as many "better" choices as possible - ie, puffed rice cereal instead of a gluten-y cereal but sometimes I just ate what I could get in my stomach and wouldn't make me feel ill. Eggs were VERY hard for me to eat in the first trimester. I was pretty lucky in that I just had some mild nausea and not much of that since the magical 2d trimester started.

I also tried ginger tea and that helped a little...but I'm weird and actually like the taste of ginger tea (with a little lemon in it). You'll find a lot of recipes online for ginger tea if you google.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    I ended up with hyperemesis (still have it... 23 weeks Monday and I thought I might be safe to try a morning without Zofran. It was 90 minutes of nonstop puking before I could physically swallow the medicine and get some relief. I now know what it's like to survive the ebola virus) so at a certain point the natural cures weren't enough. That said, I got a little relief in the early days from...

ginger tea, ginger chews, crystallized ginger, ginger ale - try Reed's, made with apple juice not sugar
    vitamin b6 + unisom (the tabs, not the melts - i.e. doxylamine succinate not diphenhydramine. Doctor-approved!)
    rice krispies (OMG!)
    sparkling water or anything carbonated

Also, make sure you eat something the second you wake up. Before getting out of bed, if possible. Low blood sugar = nausea. Small meals throughout the day are better than three big meals... pregnancy with morning sickness is not the time for IF.

And be kind to yourself... if all you can stomach is bran cereal, eat the bran cereal! This is not a test of your virtue. Hopefully as time goes on the icky feeling will lift and you can go back to pure primal, but in the meantime, do what you have to do.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
    I just try to listen to my body and give it what it craves. I try to make primal friendly choices, but shall try not to worry too much about it if I eat something I wouldn't normally.
    I haven't felt like vomiting yet and hopefully it wont get to that.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth is also really good when you can't get much down.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Bone broth is also really good when you can't get much down.
    I would imagine so, but I can't get hold of bones so that's out of the question.
    Anyway, I've come to realize that I'm not really feeling sick anyway, it's more a case of gas/burping.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy