Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many carbs for what I'm trying to accomplish? page

ilikepullups Guest

I'm a 20 year old male and I just went 100% primal this week. I don't have any weight at all to lose (6'4 175-180 soaking wet), but I don't have the body composition I'd like. For example, I can I can see 4 of my abs clearly with a fifth poking through on one side upon flexing. However, I still have man boobs, slight love handles, and a pooch of fat that accumulates when I sit. To make matters worse, I really don't have much muscle mass; I guess you could say I'm "skinny-fat". I really just want to get rid of the little crap (fat) I have left.

With that said, this week while going primal, I did indeed eat plenty of veggies and 2 large apples a day. To make sure I got enough calories, I ate about 4 ounces of nuts a day. This past week I averaged about 2000 kcal, 105 g fat, 115 g carbs, and 160 g protein.

Is this too many carbs? I basically just want to change my body composition not lose weight (and yes, I'm lifting weights). I just want less fat, more muscle without losing weight and making my arms any skinnier.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Over the two years that I've been following a Primal lifestyle, I've noticed two things that get in the way of fat loss: nuts and dairy. I believe 4 ounces of nuts is far too many in one day. Try 1 ounce a day if you have to have them. Cut dairy if you haven't already.

As long as you eat enough protein, work out hard and get enough rest, you won't lose muscle. Try cutting out the nuts and dairy. Up the protein in the form of meat if you feel hungry. If after a month or so you don't start to see the changes you want, then reduce your fruit intake. Be patient.

And don't forget the IFing.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

GotPrimal Guest

Primal - im curiuos to your experiences on dairy?

Even 100% saturated fat cream, half/half?

ilikepullups Guest

Dairy is already not a problem for me. The only thing I really every have is the occasional 2 cups of coffee over a weekend with half and half.

As far as the nuts The nuts provide me with about 800 calories... taking that away from a 2000 kcal diet would mean 1200 kcal total. Isn't that too few? 800 calories in meat is A LOT of meat!

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member

You could replace the nuts with a good protein drink (or two).

Pankratos Guest

Being 22 myself I can only try to persuade you to take up weightlifting, specifically strength training. I was amazed at how quickly my muscles grew and how much they changed the shape of my body and the way I carry my weight. If you are looking to improve your appearance adding muscle will be a good route to go, plus the extra muscle will help burn more calories and eat up some of that body fat. Compound and bodyweight exercises worked best for me, but everyone has to find their own preferences.

Hope this helps and GL!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

GotPrimal: I don't have access to raw dairy, so I've had 1~3% milk, 35% whipping cream, cheese, and butter.

The milk and whipping cream make me bloated and halt fat loss; cheese bloats a little and halts fat loss; butter doesn't bloat, and I can't say whether or not it halts fat loss as I haven't been eating it more than once a week or so.

ilikepullups: Remember, calories are not the whole story. Despite what pro bodybuilders will tell you, you can still gain lean mass on a caloric deficit. I feel you will do better eating to satiety with animal sources of protein and fat than relying on nuts to get you to some arbitrary daily caloric intake. Remember also that nuts do have a significant amount of carbs. I'll say it again: some nuts are fine, but I believe 4 ounces every day is far too much. I used to eat 4 ounces daily, myself, in the beginning.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

I agree of all of these points and I need to apply them to myself.

1. No alcohol

2. No coffee while fasting

3. No dairy, even cheese

4. Instead of butter, use ghee or pure fat source

5. No nuts (I don't really right now anyway, but it's always good to remember)

I've been really stalled lately, but then again, I haven't been following a good 'primal weight loss' diet, even though I know better.

Acmebike is offline Member

ilikepullups, just focus on the metabolic processes you need to build muscle. That's going to mean some heavy lifting, body weight exercises, sprints. You can find a wealth of resources on MDA for equipment free workouts, like, well, pull ups! Short in duration, powerful and intense, and rather infrequent will do the trick. Avoid the cardio/catabolizing trudge workouts. I hit a Crossfit Gym 3x a week, and it is gaining me some good results. I can replicate these workouts at home, too, with minimal equipment, so when spring rolls around, my Crossfit visits will taper off.

And manipulate your HGH, testosterone, etc, try fasted workouts, followed by delayed high protein (MEAT sourced, not that powdered stuff) and fat (again, animal sourced, I'd skip the dairy for a while during this). Get good rest, naps, deep sleep, allow your body to call for muscle growth and give it the nutrients to do it with.

But be sure to eat meat, horse meat equals horse power! 800 cals of nuts won't do the muscle building that 800 cals of meat will do (and likely even less meat than that....)

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sassa or anybody:

2. No coffee while fasting

Really? why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast