Thread: Evening Primrose Oil for Lumpy Breasts? page

Miriam Guest

Shop Now

Ok, I have a lump in my left breast, itís not cancerous as I went and had an oh so lovely mammogram but it is just a lump and apparently common and could be hormonal (love that everything is hormonal when doctors donít know what it is).

I have had it for about two months and I am in the process of coming off deporovera for Endometriosis and using Maca instead to help treat the symptoms of this (previously discussed in the post about periods) and have two weeks until I start the Maca, so not too sure if it has something to do with the deporovera and another thought I had at first was I had pulled a muscle in my chest but the mammogram clearly shows a lump.

Anyway, the doctor told me to take Evening Primrose Oil for it and I had a google and there have been a lot of studies saying that taking EPO is a waste of time for breast tenderness/lumps, so people what do you think will help? Maybe just time?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I wish I had an answer for you, but I know nothing about that kind of thing.

Would it hurt to try it?

Nick Guest

Try looking into iodine. There's been research both in the US and Japan that shows getting more iodine can alleviate hormonal fibroid cysts in breast tissue. I don't have any links handy, but the fact that people in Japan get 100x our RDA of iodine due to their consumption of seaweed contributes to their ~20% lower rate of breast cancer.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

I would try it out. See this post:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/15/61.cfm

(Not sure how accurate).

In the book Primal Body, Primal Mind Nora recommends Evening Primrose Oil(EPO)as one of the beneficial supplements for people.

A treatment protocol:

For fibrocystic breast syndrome (lumpy breasts)the treatment protocol is to detoxify liver, keep insulin levels low with ketogenic diet, correct hormonal imbalance and nutritional support.

Use spices like rosemary and turmeric which improve oestrogen metabolism and detoxification.

Vitamin E may assist in normalising levels of LH and FSH which regulate progesterone and oestrogen levels. Often LH and FSH (hormones) are elevated in mammary dysplasia (lumps, cysts in breasts).

EPO may assist in regulating prostaglandin levels which are often associated with fribrocystic breasts.

Give it a go with the EPO and Vitamin E and see what happens. EPO is omega 6 so make sure you have a good amount of omega 3 in your diet.

Sue

Nick that's interesting.

Dr Brownstein has written a book on iodine. Here is a little blurb about iodine deficiency:

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/iodine.htm

"Dr. Brownstein has been quite successful in treating fibrocystic breast disease (cysts in the breast) with iodine/iodine supplementation. In one case a 37 year-old woman with severe fibrocystic breast disease was completely cured after supplementing with 50 mgs of iodine a day for two months. Women with larger breasts need more iodine than women with smaller breasts. Other medical authorities agree that iodine deficiency can lead to fibrocystic breast disease and/or ovarian cysts. [1] [2] [3] "

musajen is offline Junior Member

In Breakthrough: 8 Steps to Wellness (latest Suzanne Somers book) she interviews a doctor who talks about using iodine for treating fibrocystic breast disease. The doctor recalled a demonstration to a panel of doctors with a woman who had severe pain with fibrocystic breasts. They witnessed her in severe pain even with feather-light touches to her breasts. Iodine was administered, oddly, in her vagina, and 30 minutes later she had no pain.

So apparently iodine is amazing?

Miriam Guest

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is really weird but I was craving seaweed and just was at the shops and bought some kelp! I think my body was telling me that it needs it!

I have actually ordered Primal Body Primal Mind and should be delivered any day now so will look into what she says about EPO further, I also take CLO so hopefully that should balance out the 3ís, I will also eat a bit more seaweed and see if that makes a difference, it is one of those things that I always have in the cupboard but probably donít eat it on a regular enough basis but will now make it a part of my weekly diet.

Miriam Guest

I just pan fried some kelp in coconut oil and it went all puffy (like a green papadum) and was absolutely delicious, so cooked a heap up to have with my salad today. Iodine and fat - great combo!

Sue

I think the next book I need to purchase is Dr Brownstein's "Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It".